Tag buttons that light up when a reference that has that tag is selected

Quite simply, I have tags for read and unread articles, and I would like the READ and UNREAD tags that I see in the left-hand side of Zotero's screen to light up when I select a reference that happens to bear one of those tags, rather than having to go to the Tags tab for each one of them.
  • After having made two more suggestions relating to future use of tags in Zotero, I think this particular suggestion is the one that would most improve working with tags. It would be great to see this implemented in future Zotero versions. Thanks!
  • Is there a reason the tags section on the left pane (below the collections, it may be hidden so you have to click the 3 dots at the bottom) isn't good enough for this?
  • Are you referring to the section that displays all the existing tags? This is also the one I was talking about. Right now you (or at least I) cannot tell which of the existing tags the selected reference has, so my suggestion was that, as you move the cursor in the mid-pane from one reference to the next, the relevant tags (if any) are somehow highlighted.
  • ah, I misunderstood what you were talking about. Now it makes sense to me and that does seem like reasonable UI behaviour. Do you need to see the metadata on the right when you browse your items? The tags tab sticks open and seems like it would cover this (though maybe not make it as obvious as you want it).
  • I normally use the Info tab in the right pane, and to be able to quickly take in what tags are applied to each reference I would need to switch between the Info and the Tags tabs. Having the tags in the left pane (which are displayed there all the time anyway) highlighted would simplify work even more, in my opinion.

Even so, working with Zotero is a joy after being the slave of EndNote for such a long time!
  • I'd also like to see the highlighting of tags that are associated with the selected library item. In fact, for zotero users who use the ALT click method to determine to which folders a library item has been sorted, this would be the intuitive solution. Select the reference item, hold down ALT, and observe which tags are associated. In my opinion, it would be better to always highlight the tags associated with a library item without holding down the ALT key. Can't think of a reason why you wouldn't want the tags shown.
  • Right — extending the effect of CTRL+selection to tags seems like a very good idea to me; nice extension of an existing piece of interface logic.