Selectively omit URLs even if Pages field is blank

I apologize if this feature request has been separately made -- it didn't turn up in a search.

Currently, Zotero provides a configuration option (Preferences/Styles) for including URLs of paper articles in references. However, it is noted that disabling this preference does not suppress all URLS. A URL still appears if the Zotero data record contains no data in the Pages field.

I should be a good boy and put in the page numbers when I create a data record, I admit. But I am lazy sometimes and don't. Then, when I'm in a good writing flow, I add a citation, only to be greeted, face-to-face, with a citation that ends like the following:

http://... ?hl=en&lr=&id=VaqYRav9fVoC&oi=fnd&pg=PR11&dq=public+city&ots=EWxSV_4ei-&sig=180R6R6A9nSBvcWuaz5f7M2DuRI#v=onepage&q=purity%20of%20the%20ballot%20box&f=false (last visited May 27, 2010)

It is unwise to edit this, since the URL will be restored upon refresh. So I have to stop everything, find the pages, and add them. I would much prefer to do this later, in the revision stage, rather than having my writing flow interrupted.

As I understand it, inclusion of URLs is not specified by styles but is part of the Zotero code. I draw this conclusion from the page on editing CSL and from a study of several citation styles accessed by means of the CSL editor.

Please consider the following configuration options:

( ) Always include URLs
( ) Include URLs if Pages field is blank
( ) Never include URLs

Thank you for Zotero. There is not a day that goes by that I do not appreciate all the hard work and thought that has gone into it.

Bryan Pfaffenberger
  • two things:
    1. Styles can be hard coded to never include URLs (or to include URLs only for webpage items etc.) - that's usually pretty easy to do.
    2. Remember Zotero updates your citations - though even if initially the URL shows up, it will disappear automatically once you enter the pages.

I'm not sure how I feel about a general 'never include URLs' option - mainly because every additional option creates additional ways in which users can be confused.
  • Adam,

"I'm not sure how I feel about a general 'never include URLs' option - mainly because every additional option creates additional ways in which users can be confused."

I can see why you would say this. If somebody selected the 'never include URLs' option, and then tried to insert a citation where the URL is obviously required (e.g., a blog post), this might indeed confuse them. Might it be possible, though, to include such an option in about:config? Very few users go there, I should think.

Bryan
  • true, but at that point I wonder what the downside of just using a citation style (custom if need be) without URLs would be. Doing that doesn't require much more expertise than finding the hidden preferences.

For most citation styles, see the general instructions here:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step
    and delete the line <text macro="access"/>
    or delete the node access (macro) in the bibliography if using the visual editor.