More sync problems w/upgrade and reset failures

Ongoing sync problems: i) I upgraded to the latest version of Zotero on two machines AND; ii) got large numbers of sync errors between my machines and the server; iii) I tried to reset the preferences so that all server data was overridden by local material. This did not produce the desired result for the reconciliation error messages continued, at which point I posted my problem in a Zotero forum and asked for suggestions. My entry was then erased and the thread was declared closed.

Next steps: I pulled up the master library data list and found that the entries from entire sub-libraries that I believed to have been manually erased were still present on both my computers. This explained some of the problem so: i) I erased every redundant research note entry manually in the library directory and again in the trash; ii) I checked the date/timestamps on the sqlite, sqlite-journal and sqlite.bak files. Anything older than 15 minutes was erased; iii) resetting took place again so that everything on the server would be rewritten from my machine and Firefox was launched online. What I got were the following error messages:

"Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [mozIStorageConnection.commitTransaction]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js :: anonymous :: line 484" data: no]

sync.zotero.org : potentially vulnerable to CVE-2009-3555

Report ID: 2034258105

So what’s going on and how do I fix it?
  • I'm not really following everything you've done, and it sounds like you've quite likely gotten yourself into more trouble than you were into at the beginning. Your best bet is to just pick a local library and use the sync reset options, doing a Restore to Server on that one and Restore from Server on the other. There are very few ways that can fail.
  • I tried the sync reset several times without success - that's when I began to post. Seems to be working fine now and the original problem was not with sync, but with records that failed to delete completely from my database or were somehow restored in sync operations. Fingers crossed that all is OK now.
  • about deleting entries - are you emptying your trash occasionally?
  • What does this mean: "Firefox was launched online" ?

And I'm not understanding how things got erased: "Anything older than 15 minutes was erased"

And how did the "resetting take place"?
  • Should empty the trash more Adam - that may have been the problem.

To answer natisto's queries: "Firefox was launched online" means that changes were made offline to the database and its records before I attempted to upload and got the error messages. "Anything older than 15 minutes was erased" refers to the fact that I wanted up-to-date sqlite files in my data directory for upload to the server. Part of the problem in the past (and I'm not sure about this but was not taking any chances) may have been the presence of multiple or conflicting sqlite files. Resetting took place via the Tools-Add-Ons-Extensions-Options-Sync-Reset panel in Firefox. Zotero was closed.