Sync problems

I have had a sync problem for a long time. Hope someone can help me with that. Error report id: 682224528
Thanks!
  • edited May 11, 2010
    Unexpected status code 401 caching authentication credentials in Zotero.Sync.Storage.Session.ZFS.getLastSyncTime()
    1) Restart your computer and try again.

2) If you still have trouble, disable any security software you have and try again, or, if this is a laptop, try on a different network.
  • Thank you, here are the result:
    1) Restart the computer did'nt work.
    2) Disable any security software was not ok said my it-administrator. The had no idea about what the problem could be and they were really trying to find out what the problem was. It is a not a laptop.

When I changed password it suddenly started to sync again. When I tried to log on with another Zotero Account, the problem started again. Now it is impossible to sync again.
    Report id: 1119284914
  • I think I have found a solution on this page:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/sync_reset_options#restore_tofrom_server

When I went to the "Preferences" in the Zotero menu, "Sync", "Reset" and "Restore to Zotero server" it started up again my synck connection with Zotero. It is working again now.
  • edited October 13, 2011
    OK, but for the future note that the reset options are not meant for troubleshooting and shouldn't be used for such. They'll often cause more problems than they solve, and they can simply hide underlying issues so that you or others will just experience them later.
  • Thank you. I tried to switch user account today and Zotero would not sync to the Zotero Storage server. I received this error report: 290610942

It was a conflict with the items in my libraries so a sync pane appeared wich offered me the choice to keep the local versions or the web page version. I clicked ok through all of them, and finish. But the error message was still there. Both lykkja and p.m.lykkja are my accounts is just for testing so it is ok to remove everything if you want.

I wonder if it has something to do with Firefox sync? Or that it can be a conflict because of that in Zotero Standalone I have got a Norwegian version Quickstart, and on the Firefox version I have got the English version of Zotero Quickstart.

On a public pc, is it usually no problems with changing Zotero users and get the sync to Zotero Storage?
  • Why are you using two separate accounts? You should not be switching user accounts on a regular basis.

I don't really understand what the problem is you're having, but see this:

http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/repeated_conflicts
  • I would like to put Zotero on the library PC's that we use for library courses. Then the students has to change accounts so that they can get their own library to work on. I would like to learn them to use the Zotero Storage and Group functionality. Thats why I am testing to switch between separate accunts. As you said, I should not switch user accounts on a regular basis, I will try to find a solution on that. I have the Zotero book, but perhaps you have a suggestion to a link for teaching zotero?

Thanks for the suggestion, it was exactly what was happening:
    "First check to see whether the data in question has synced to your online library on zotero.org. If it hasn't, the problem is on the computer where the data originated."
    http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/changes_not_syncing

Then the problem is on the computer where the data orginated most likely. I will try to troubleshoot with the help of local IT-staff.
  • Then the students has to change accounts so that they can get their own library to work on.
    That's definitely not the solution. Students should have separate user accounts, with separate Firefox profiles that retain their data (or at least clean accounts on every login, and they can then enter their credentials).

Having students switch between Zotero accounts each time is a recipe for chaos.
  • Yes, they have of course their own firefox profile or Zotero Standalone profile that they can use. The course pc's require log in so that will probably go fine.

We have some PC for surfing on the web without logging in in the library. I guess that it can be to complicated if people start using Zotero on this one?
  • Hello. I have started with a few Zotero courses, and I want to ask for permission to use the Zotero Standalone Image. Is that OK? What license is it released by?

http://www.ub.uio.no/kurs/programmer-emner/sv/master/sum-zotero/index.html

Thank you for very good software!