Z "disappeared" my snapshots

Sometime recently, maybe when I'd reached my storage limit & decided to save only citations and not files, Zotero did away with all my snapshots. My prefs are set to "automatically take snapshots when creating items from web pages." The snapshot item appears to be available among the item's children, as always.

But, if I go back to the item and click View on the Info tab, Zotero runs to the website. If I highlight the snapshot item and click View Snapshot, the "file not found; it may have been deleted" error message comes up.

I've got backups, but they won't help for the most recent items. Any ideas what's gone wrong?
  • Zotero did away with all my snapshots
    That's highly unlikely.

Have you looked in the 'storage' folder in the Zotero data directory?

Is this the computer on which you originally saved the files?

Are you using any sort of external syncing tool?

And provide a Debug ID for attempted opening of a snapshot.
  • Yes I know it's highly unlikely, & probably not accurate. Still, too many that I've tried to view in the last day or two have taken off on holiday, hence my query here.

I did look in the storage folder. Yegads, how to decipher what is there & what it links to?!

This is the original computer.

The only external syncing is to the Zotero server, without attachments.

Debug ID: D105751934
  • edited May 5, 2010
    OK, look for a 'CTZ5SA93' directory in 'storage'. Do you see it? Does it have files?

Zotero is looking for CTZ5SA93/7875192.html.
  • edited May 5, 2010
    You can see the directories yourself by viewing the debug output rather than submitting it.

You can also of course just do a search within 'storage' for particular filenames. Don't relink them manually if found, though.
  • Well, CTZ5SA93 does not exist. So naturally Zotero would be unable to find the snapshot to display it.

Ugh, now what? I am going to assume ("hope") that the missing items are in one of my backups. If I can find the missing ones & return them to the storage directory, will Z "just find them" or do I have to do something?

Then there is the awful question of, do I need to go through every library item to find out what's actually missing?

I suppose it'd be good to know how this managed to happen, but I'm still at the "I want my data" phase.