Allow Footnote/Endnote Citation without Bibliographic Citation

I use Zotero 2.0.2 with MSWord and I write in the area of history. I deal with a lot of items from archives (e.g., letters, reports, chronicles). There can be hundreds of them in a chapter which need to be cited in the footnotes/endnotes, but these citations are not usually individually listed in the bibliography.

Maybe I missed something when I was testing Zotero 1.x before I selected it for documenting citations in my latest work, but I thought I could generate a bibliography; then using "Edit Bibliography" remove items from the bibliography by highlighting an entry in the "references in Bibliography" list and pressing the green arrow pointing to the left. Unfortunately, that also removes the citation in the footnote/endnote.

I tried using the editor to manually delete the entry, but it still leaves an empty line. Moreover, that goes quite beyond what the bibliography citation editor is for, as the entry still shows up in the "references in Bibliography" list.

"adamsmith" suggested that I enter a Feature Request, which is what I am doing with this entry.

To summarize, I am requesting the capability to enter a citation as a footnote/endnote, generate a bibliography, and then selectively eliminate individual entries in the "references in Bibliography" list.
  • The CSL processor being prepped for citation formatting in the next version has the ability to exclude items from the bibliography based on their content. If that functionality is made accessible through option settings of some sort, it can be used to produce the effect you're after. It will be awhile before the new processor hits the press, but it's in the works.