Open Office 3.2 plug in problem

Hello,

I've installed the Zotero OpenOffice plug in on the 3.2 version of OO. When I try to use it, I get the following message:

Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure you have the appropriate Firefox extension installed and try again.

I definitely have the OO plugin installed and have tried the "reinstall components" option available through the preferences. No dice.

Thoughts?

Thanks much.
Best,
Lisa
  • Hi Dan,

Thanks so much for your response. I've looked in the Content section of the Firefox preferences and "Enable JavaScript" is checked. I've also used one of the sites suggested on the page you pointed me to and it claims that my Java is enabled and working.

Still, no dice on the plugin.

Is there anything else I should try?

Thanks.
    Best,
    Lisa
  • (JavaScript isn't the same as Java.)

What does the Java tester say?
  • Dan, thanks for setting me straight on Java vs. JavaScript! Oops!

The Java tester says that "Your Java is Working" but also that an update is available. (I don't see anywhere to update it from that page, though.)

Also:

Your Java configuration is as follows:
    Vendor: Sun Microsystems
    Version: Java 6, Update 18
    Operating System: Linux 2.6.32-21-generic
    Architecture: i386

I'm not sure how to ensure that Java is working in my browser, as I only see an option to enable JavaScript.

Thanks.
    Best,
    Lisa
  • There are a lot of threads in the forums about steps to get the plugin working under Linux/Ubuntu, which has a somewhat messy Java situation. I'd suggest looking into those.
  • Hi Dan,

Thanks much. I'll take a look and see if I can get it figured out.

Best,
    Lisa
  • I am using: windows xp, firefox 3.6.3, zotero 2.0.2 and Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20

When trying to use zotero from Open Office, I receive this message:
    "Zotero OpenOffice Integration could not communicate with OpenOffice.org because the Java UNO runtime directory specified in the Zotero OpenOffice Integration preferences does not contain a "ridl.jar" file.

See the Zotero word processor plugin troubleshooting page for information on how to locate the appropriate directory".

I have already restarted, uninstalled, re-installed, etc. every mentioned soft without any success. Could you help me, please. Thank you, Claudio.
  • search for "ridl.jar" on your computer - include hidden files in the search.
    In
    Firefox --> tools --> addons --> Open Office integration/Preferences
    set the Java UNO directory to the folder containing ridl.jar
  • It works!
    Adam, you're great. May The Buddha bless you!
    Yours, Claudio.
  • Hi! I have Zotero 2.0.3 (3.0a7 plugin) with OO.org 3.2, Firefox 3.6.3 on Fedora 12 x86_64. After receiving the Integration Error (Firefox could not load... Same as the first post) I have tried almost everything, including the troubleshooting help, some ways on this forum, and http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/11429/zotero-in-ubuntu-104-lucid-lynx/ - seeing that is a Java problem. I have un- and reinstalled Java, Zotero and components, even OO.org, but no worth...
    "rpm -qa|grep java" shows:
    tzdata-java-2010i-1.fc12.noarch
    java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin-1.6.0.0-38.b18.fc12.x86_64
    java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0-38.b18.fc12.x86_64
    java_cup-0.11a-1.fc12.noarch

and "rpm -q jre":
    jre-1.6.0_18-fcs.x86_64
    jre-1.6.0_20-fcs.x86_64
    On the other hand Opera does not have any problem - it finds the plugin at "/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libnpjp2.so" - passes on javatester.org and java.com, only Firefox. The paths of Zotero plugin are:
    /opt/openoffice.org3/basis-link/ure-link/share/java/
    /opt/openoffice.org3/program/
    I didn't know what else to do, please can anyone help (although I'm not sure if this is the right thread)?
    Thanks in advance!
  • it seems like you don't have the actual sun-java plugin installed - it's required for Zotero to work.
    the open jdk and other open source javas won't work - try going through the Java site and see what they recommend for you.
  • I've tried the 32bit plugin, too, as been told, but nothing happened... I think only a new, clean install of the system can resolve this problem. Thanks anyway!