problems with automatic tags, zotero always imports them

I have 2 problems with automatic tags when importing refs :

- tags are automatically imported, even though I have de-selected "Automatically tag items with keywords and subject headings"
- automatically-imported tags are not indistinguishable from user-added tags (i.e. the "type" field is set to 0 instead of 1 as they should be)

Here is an example RIS file, taken from sciencedirect.com
In this case the KW items get automatically imported
-----
TY - JOUR
T1 - A physical model for wildland fires
JO - Combustion and Flame
VL - 156
IS - 12
SP - 2217
EP - 2230
PY - 2009/12//
T2 -
AU - Balbi, J.H.
AU - Morandini, F.
AU - Silvani, X.
AU - Filippi, J.B.
AU - Rinieri, F.
SN - 0010-2180
M3 - doi: DOI: 10.1016/j.combustflame.2009.07.010
UR - http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/B6V2B-4X8VB89-1/2/c6c317b84d77da890005dc1555747d35
KW - Wildland fire
KW - Physical model
KW - Fire experiments
ER -
-----

I had difficulties removing all previously-generated automatic tags, as stated in another discussion:
http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/4051/remove-all-tags/
  • edited April 27, 2010
    I believe that option doesn't refer to RIS import, but only to automatic import using the URL bar icon - which seems to make sense to me - I've just tested the above article and indeed it imports without tags/keywords if you use the Zotero translator.
  • You are right, if I import it using the site translator I don't get the tags, thanks.
    This explains why all my previously imported references had the tags and were not of the "automatic" type - I never used the site translators before.

However, there is an inconsistency in Zotero not respecting the preference when importing through other means (either a manual RIS import or through a website). It also creates a snapshot even if the option "Automatically take snapshots..." is unchecked.

Sometimes site translators are not available and one must use whatever citation-manager file export is available, which will import tags and make a snapshot regardless of user prefs. Is this a "feature"? I see it as a "bug".

Thanks