mac OO plugin not working

I'm getting the following error when trying to use OO plugin:

"Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed and try again."

specs:
mac osx (10.6.3)
FF 3.6.3
OO 3.2.0

I've looked through the forums and have doublechecked things that have been suggested. Javascript is enabled in FF. "Use a java runtime environment" is checked in OO. Mac software update says I'm running the latest java (I think it's 1.6.0_17).

I'm thinking this is a Java issue, but haven't been able to work out what the fix is. Then again maybe it's not Java.

thanks for any help.
  • have you tested Java?
    http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
  • Thanks for pointing to the java test page, Adam. Tested Java, and it's not working. Didn't even cross my mind that that would be the case, since this computer is only a couple of months old. Ack.

Dumb question: I have no idea how to trouble shoot java on a mac. Are there any resources any one could point me to? thanks!
  • looks like it may be very simple:
    http://gephi.org/users/install-java-6-mac-os-x-leopard/
    in other words, just do a software update from the apple menu.
  • hmmm. I had tried the upgrade prior. So I double-checked and Java SE 6 is the only one installed. Also checked the verification, and got this:

java version "1.6.0_17"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_17-b04-248-10M3025)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.3-b01-101, mixed mode)

In the example that was given the build on the 3rd line was nearly identical to the build on the 2nd line, which of course isn't the case for my computer. Could this be the issue?

Thanks for the suggestions so far, and any more to come.
  • sorry, I got nothing then - maybe ask on a Mac forum?
    Are you getting any helpful error message on the java tester site?
  • No, no error message. The little box that's supposed to appear and say Java is Happy just isn't there. (I saw the happy java box when helping another person who was having a similar problem; just doing the test seemed to kick things into alignment.)

Will try a mac forum. Many thanks, Adam!