re-link folders to library?

I did a duplicate file find in an external program. It revealed that there are a number of subfolders in the zotero storage folder that have different names (e.g. GIHTMA2) but identical file contents: .zotero-ft-cache, .zotero-ft-info, and a pdf. However, when looking in the zotero file list, I don't see both files. So, it seems that somehow I have a number of storage folders that are not connected to my main zotero library. Any advice on how to rectify this situation? I have many entries and really want to clean things up. The pdf files are not stored on an external server b/c the data is way too large. I'm running zotero 2.0.2, Win XP. Thanks!
  • No one has any ideas? Maybe someone from the development team has a suggestion?
  • Are you sure the files aren't in a personal library and a group library? They'd appear in 'storage' separately if so.
  • The files are in a personal library. I'm not a member of any group library. But upon looking in my zotero folder, I see that I have a zotero library and some files that are zotero library (computer x's conflicted copy), which means that my dropbox file synchronizer has created some copies of library and storage files. So, to get rid of those, I should load the conflicted file libraries and delete the entries? Is there any way to do this without risking deleting files that are linked to or stored in my main library? Thanks.
  • which means that my dropbox file synchronizer has created some copies of library and storage files.
    Yup, Dropbox will make a mess of your Zotero data directory unless you're extremely careful to open Firefox on only one machine at once, and unfortunately you're on your own to fix it.

But disk space is cheap. I'd just wait and see if Zotero gains the ability to find orphaned files in the 'storage' directory (or somebody writes a plugin to do so).
  • Is there any danger to exporting my whole library to a different folder, including attached files, deleting all records in my current zotero library and storage, and then re-importing the records from the other folder? Would that solve the problem?

With the size of my netbook drive, the space would actually be pretty useful.
  • You don't want to do that.
  • You could use an SQLite client to view the itemAttachments table and get a list of all the used folders.
  • Can you tell me why the export/import would be a problem? Thanks.
  • Because it's not designed for a library transfer, and you may lose data (both by design and, occasionally, not by design).