Question - Importing and doubles

Hi all,

I work with zotero on multiple computers and i thought i was slick by exporting my entire library, ftping it to myself, downloading and then importing on the computer i was working on. then i would do the same thing and import the entire library on the first computer and on and on.

I quickly realized the fault here. when i import my entire dbase everything that is already there shows up twice, if i do it again, a third time and so on.

I know from the documentation that i could use a portable ff and a usb drive but that's not ideal for me.

Any suggestions on ways around this? ways to auto-delete doubles? overwrite existing entries? etc..

Thanks. And Zotero rocks, btw. :)
  • AFAIK, there is no way to automate the deletion of doubles or to overwrite existing entries. Zotero carefully preserves all imported data, (even if it's got the same already.)

You'll see on the forums several posts regarding transfering the whole zotero directory in your firefox profile. See the latest one:

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/728/synchronization/

I backup just the zotero directory to a USB and sync it with two computers, and it has worked fine, as long as I take care when I new version of Zotero comes out. You could do something similar with ftp or rsync, or just zip the directory and copy the whole thing. But if you have attachments, beware. They can use a lot of separate files in the zotero/storage directory. Fine for syncing to USB, but perhaps troublesome with ftp?

Alternately you could create a saved search for "only those items created today," and export only them. That's what I do when I forget my USB key.k
  • my bad for the redundant post... i hadn't been able to find a relevant discussion