Why isn't the word processor plugin available from the firefox/mozilla website?

Why isn't the word processor plugin available from the firefox/mozilla add-on website?
I can understand having to get the plugin from the Zotero site if the plugin was an executable as the version 1.0 plugin is.
However, the Zotero version 2.0 plugin (3.0b2) is installed as a Firefox add-on.

I would prefer getting the Word plugin from the Mozilla website because
1) I feel safer getting the add-on since it has been reviewed.
2) I am notified when there are updates
  • We update the plugins more frequently than the main extension, there's a delay before updates are made available via AMO, the plugins currently have a greater need for documentation, and its not even clear that the plugins would be reviewed in a timely fashion, since they're platform- and app-specific and include binary components.

You're still notified of updates—and much more quickly, in fact—when you download from zotero.org. We wouldn't distribute anything from here if that wasn't the case. The main Zotero extension is put on AMO for discoverability, but we still encourage users to download it from zotero.org to receive (sometimes very important) updates sooner.

The AMO review process is largely just a cursory check against malicious software, and a limited one at that, since I don't imagine it would be difficult to get malicious code past AMO review of an established add-on. Trust is a far better substitute. If you don't trust code from Zotero (created by scholars, backed by major foundations, and with commit access limited to a handful of people), that's a bigger problem than not having AMO review.