Zotero file storage versus webdav?

Hi all,

According to the documentation, Zotero file syncing 'provides a number of advantages over WebDAV syncing'. I have not been able to find what these advantages are, though. I have a WebDAV I can use; would there be any advantage to opting for Zotero storage instead?

best,
Thomas
  • The advantage is that Zotero group libraries do not support attachment syncing with webdav. To share things with your colleagues, you must use Zotero server. What I have read from these forums, there are some technical issues that require a "smart" sync server rather than a "dumb" webdav server.
  • I tried a few WebDAV servers like GMX, but they are so slow as not to be practical.

I have very good experience though with dropbox.com. It is fast because it stores a copy of all dropboxed files on your computer and syncs them in the background (very fast too, eg 200 MB in 7 minutes). I put my zotero storage (advanced settings) into dropbox, and so I can use my zotero library on all 3 computers that I use at office and at home.

Dropbox gives you free 2 GB of storage ( and even 250 MB more if you are invited by a current user of dropbox.com - I can invite you if you send me an email at g.lientschnig at gmx.net).

Of course this does not work for group libraries, here the zotero file storage should be used. Once I introduce Zotero to my colleagues this is exactly what we will do!