Is it possible to sync a group library without ever syncing MyLibrary?

I have not synced MyLibrary to the online storage, and would prefer never to do that. I just don't want all my notes/ references online. I want to be able to sync specific collections, but I haven't found a way to do that....

I made a group, and wanted to sync group-specific data but it looks like I would have to sync MyLibrary before the group sync will work.

Am I mistaken?

So far, I see no group collections in my local zotero, so I'm guessing I have to sync MyLibrary (the whole thing!) before getting that group functionality.

Thanks!
  • You are not mistaken. You can't sync just groups. However, since only changes must be synchronized after the first sync, subsequent syncs of your library should be much faster (if that is what you are worried about) than the initial sync. Also, you can turn of file sync for your library so only your database will be synchronized.
  • Thanks for the quick reply. That was my suspicion.

I don't want to sync the whole thing because I have stored there passwords and who knows what ("colleague X is an idiot!"). So it is best if it remains on my computer.

The solution is to use a portable version of Z. on a stick. Then sync with that. I will see if it is possible to have that portable version on the same machine.... without having to shuffle the Z database between versions (scary!).
  • If you want to have different Zoteros, one with your own library, and another with your group libraries, then you will want separate Firefox profiles. I believe portable Firefox alongside regular Firefox would achieve this, though you could just run desktop Firefox two different profiles.
  • edited March 29, 2010
    Yes -- great idea, and I think that it is possible to run both profiles at the same time and switch between them (though FF warns that profiles are not for the faint of heart...). Worst case scenario, I can set up two users under Ubuntu and switch between them. I like the idea of being able to switch between profiles under FF, because then it would be easy to copy and paste between zoteros.

edit: good discussion about live switching here: http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2010/02/master-multiple-firefox-profiles-to-make-yourself-more-productive/
  • To follow up on this thread, I have one more question -- I created a fairly large library with attachments (PDFs, Word docs, etc.) that I need to upload to a group library. I am not the group owner, but the owner has purchased enough storage space to accommodate all of these files. When I try to sync the files to the group library, it first attempts to sync my library, which quickly runs out of storage space.

Am I correct in understanding that before I can upload these files to the group library (using the group owner's storage), I will need to purchase additional storage for my library and sync that first? Is there any way around this? I don't want or need these files stored online in my library -- they are only necessary for the group.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!
  • I don't want or need these files stored online in my library -- they are only necessary for the group.
    Remove the files from your personal library, then.