Philosopher's Index (CSA) - everything comes through as book?

Hi,

I'm very interested in using Zotero. I've been trying it out, but my main source is Philosopher's Index. One thing I'm seeing is that every resource is being displayed (in the address bar) with the book symbol. So even journal articles or whatever, they all come through as books. (Which sort of makes it unusable because then none of the bibliography data is there).

Is this the fault of the Philosopher's Index site for using incorrect metadata format? Is there much that could be done to fix it? Or does anyone know another resource as comprehensive as PI?

Thanks!
  • Could you provide URLs? I just tried the Philosopher's Index, and I was able to save journal articles as such. However, I may be accessing it through a different website than you. You might also want to check out this page: troubleshooting_translator_issues [Zotero Documentation]
  • I can't really provide a URL because its all done on session IDs and even the resource pages aren't unique (record nums relative to my session).

I have a clarification though because I've just re-tried everything. I do see most journal articles come through correct. What I was trying was
    (a) An article which matched a book title (i.e. same author)
    (b) Articles which are book reviews

These both come through as books. This is not that much of a problem though, much less of a problem than I thought at first that is for sure.

Thanks for your comment.
  • Can you tell what system you are using to access Philosopher's Index? My university accesses it through CSA Illumina, and I don't get an icon in the address bar at all.

If you can, hover your cursor over the book icon-- it'll say what the translator being used is. Philosopher's Index doesn't have its own translator.
  • Another query: is it correct that Book Sections (which are coming through as Book Sections) do not presently support page numbers? They're coming through but without publisher, page numbers, etc, etc.

ajilyon: I'm just logging in via my library, it forwards me to CSA. I don't know how else to explain it. I'm directly on CSA's website when I'm using Philosopher's Index.
  • book sections do support page numbers, but it might be that the translator for CSA doesn't.
    Also, what aljyon says, namely: "If you can, hover your cursor over the book icon-- it'll say what the translator being used is. "
  • edited March 25, 2010
    Interesting, this is what I meant about different websites. My University access is through ovidsp.tx.ovid.com.[MyProxyHere]/sp-2.3.1/ovidweb.cgi?[long string of characters]

sikittle, the book section type does support pages, but it may be that the website is not providing them or the translator is not finding them. Again, you should look at the link I posted above, make sure your translators are updated, etc. You can of course add page numbers manually to the item after adding it to your library. What translator are you using? You can tell by hovering your cursor over the Zotero translator button in the URL bar.
  • edited March 25, 2010
    I've made some changes to the CSA translator to get more information from book sections-- download it from http://github.com/ajlyon/zotero-bits/blob/master/Cambridge Scientific Abstracts.js to try it out.

I added support for book authors, language, and page numbers. Try it out-- it works for me. It was supposed to support them, but the scraping method wouldn't work for book section that had an author listed in the Source section of the record in CSA.

I'll submit it to zotero-dev for general consumption.
  • Gotcha.

This is the kind of URL I see: http://csaweb109v.csa.com/ids70/results.php?SID=j665p5pe3519avlv577cv3puu1&id=2

When I hover over anything it says "Cambridge Scientific Abstracts" in brackets.

I will try that new javascript file, thanks.
  • Right, tried that new one and it works great, adding that info. Thank you very much.

Also discovered that Greasemonkey was inteferring with Zotero in general, and it works much better all round now I've disabled that (which may well be in the standard FAQs).
  • This is now committed to the repository and it should hit clients in the fairly near future: https://www.zotero.org/trac/changeset/6101 .