Sync error

Hi,
I was instructed to start a new thread here, so I am. Here is my problem:

I am new to Z 2.0, have purchased 1GB storage space and am trying to upload both a group library and "My Library" each of which have several collections.

I get to the stage of "upload accepted -- waiting for sync server" every time, but the sync just will not work.

Either errors get generated or the green arrow just spins and spins. This is the error code I just got: "Please perform a full sync in the Sync->Reset pane of the Zotero preferences. (Report ID: 56d96774)". I have, however, tried what it says to do here at least 3x this evening and my libraries online at Zotero are still empty. Help?! I took a workshop on Zotero at the recent Public History meeting in Portland, OR, from Trevor Owens, and I think I have everything set up right. Didn't think this would be this hard.

Thanks,
Anne
  • So, somehow you ended up with a tag from a group library linked to items from your personal library. That shouldn't actually be possible in the database, so we'll need to see whether that did somehow make it into your database or this is just an error in the upload preparation.

How big is the zotero.sqlite file in your Zotero data directory? If it's under 70MB when you ZIP it, you can upload it to the DB Repair Tool and send the Upload ID to support@zot....org with a link to this thread. You can ignore the download link the tool provides, since it's unlikely to fix the problem.
  • I think this happened, maybe, because I moved several collections that were previously in my personal library to the newly-created group library that I am trying to share with dewamw, my husband and business partner. Could that be it?

I am uploading the zotero.sqlite file to the DB Repair Tool now and will send the ID and link to the support email address as soon as this is complete. Thank you for your quick response.
  • Can you provide a Report ID for another sync attempt? Your uploaded database no longer appears to have the data that was causing the sync error.
  • And copying items from a personal library to a group library is perfectly fine, so you didn't do anything wrong there.
  • I am sorry -- didn't see these comments. I am trying now to sync again and will provide ID shortly. Thank you!
  • Hi, just tried to do a regular sync again and got the following msg: Please perform a full sync in the Sync->Reset pane of the Zotero preferences. (Report ID: db6b75ec)
  • And now I just tried to do what it just said (full sync in reset pane) and got the following error:Please perform a full sync in the Sync->Reset pane of the Zotero preferences. (Report ID: 66dd9f5d)

I don't know what to do next! :)
  • And I should say that when I clicked "report the error" on that above error message, I got a final message with Report ID 719864091. Not sure which ID I am supposed to provide. Thanks.
  • I am getting desperate. I share this library with a collaborator (dewamw) and our work is currently stalled completely because our old ways of sharing (copying all of the database files back and forth between two computers) is now disabled and the syncing is not working for us. I am afraid to make any changes to the database because it will then be out of phase with the one I have uploaded to you. Is there anything else I can do to obtain some assistance with this? Any other information I can provide you? Thank you very much.
    Anne
  • I e-mailed you this morning with instructions for fixing the problem...
  • Thank you, I see the email message now! I apologize for not checking that before looking here. I will try the database fixes you suggested and let you know how it goes. MANY thanks!!
    Anne
  • Update: I did make the fixes you recommended to the two problematic tags that you pointed out to me, and I have now been syncing for about 8 hours without the process completing. The progress bar seems stuck on 8% and the green wheel is turning and turning. This is a different result than I got before in that the process does not produce an error and a red exclamation point within a few minutes, but I am not sure whether the sync is working or not. What next? Thanks.
  • I should note that it does appear that the libraries have synced, although I have not obviously done an item-by-item check. And my collaborator (dewamw) was able to sync and download our group library to his computer. So should I just close Firefox and start again and assume all is well?
  • Latest update: Earlier today, I simply had to close Firefox while the green arrow was spinning and spinning. It appeared, however, that the upload had taken place. Now, when trying to sync again, I got the following error ID 1253598353. My partner (dewamw) did manage to download the shared library to his machine today and made changes, but the syncing clearly still is not working. What next?
  • What's not working, exactly? There are no Zotero errors in that report.
  • Hi Dan,
    Not sure. I just tried it again and got the yellow triangle that we were out of storage space, so I have upgraded to 5GB from 1GB. I wasn't sure how much I would need. I see this as a good sign that the whole thing was trying to sync. Once the change to 5GB goes into effect, I will try again. Fingers crossed. Will update you. Thanks.
  • Ok, update: I upgraded to 5 GB storage, and it appears that the database and my "groups" synchronized, BUT I am still not seeing all of my attached files. And when the person I collaborate with synched with our "group," the attachments that were supposed to be with all of the documents are not there in his Zotero download. I don't understand where they are.
  • I'll ask what may be a silly question, and then get out of the way. Just in case: has your research partner ticked the box "Sync attachment files in group libraries using Zotero storage" in Preferences -> Sync?
  • Dear fbennet, Thank you. Yes, we have both checked that box in our Preferences>Sync settings. I just double checked, though, hoping you might have found an easy solution! Alas, we'd already done this.
  • One other note about this: still, whenever I sync from the main computer where this database originated, the green arrow turns and turns and turns and turns forever. It appears that the metadata, at least, it synching now, but I never have the sense that the process is completed (the progress bar shows no progress), and I don't understand what is happening.
  • Yes, I read that and am trying the suggestion in Step 4 right now. But with the green arrow just turning perpetually, I am uncertain as to what is happening. Rolling over the turning green arrow gives the message "syncing files." I will leave this sitting until in the morning, but from past experience am not optimistic that I will have evidence then that a successful sync has been completed. Sigh.
  • If it says "Syncing Files" there should be a progress bar to the left of the icon, and you can hover over that for more progress info. If that's not the case, restart Firefox.
  • Rolling the cursor over the progress bar may show you a dynamic count of files for upload and download.
  • Ok, thanks. I tried rolling over the progress bar, and after maybe 45 min, it still says "1% with a 1,998,436 kb remaining and 16/810 files." I do have a large library, so should I just be patient and expect that this will take a very long time?
  • edited April 6, 2010
    Well, 2GB could easily take 15 hours on a residential connection (at least in the U.S., where 384kbps upstream isn't unusual). Also, that meter may not be entirely accurate. Do you see any progress?
  • Hmm, no, I don't see progress. It should be changing, right? 30 min has passed since I last wrote, but the info I'm given when hovering over the progress bar is still *exactly* the same as it was 30 min ago. I have about 1.3 Mbps upload speed now; we just got ATT Uverse.
  • edited April 6, 2010
    Well, if you're on OS X you can open Activity Monitor from Spotlight and switch to the network tab to see the current "Data sent/sec" rate. If you're on Windows...I don't know—you can do something complicated in Administrative Tools, or you can get a network activity monitoring program, or you can not bother.

If there's not much traffic, or if you don't have an easy way of checking the current upload rate, send in a Report ID, restart Firefox, enable debug output, and then try again. If it stalls, send in the output and post the Debug ID here.
  • OK, I checked this in OS X Activity Monitor; not a lot of activity.

Here's my Report ID: 835167389
    I'm restarting FF now and will do as you suggest. Thanks for the late-night help!
  • Ok, after restarting FF and enabling the debug output, the sync started again and gave a red exclamation point and the following error Report ID: 1498621328. And the related Debug ID is: D2071744627. Thx.
This discussion has been closed.