PDF reader suggestions

Hi, a couple of suggestions regarding the PDF reader:

First, a rotation button would be really nice (as a ton of journals format tables sideways, and they need to be rotated to read them).

Second, I routinely accidentally close Zotero when viewing a PDF (because I'll click the "X" button on the window out of habit). It'd be nice to have *an optional toggle* to make Zotero behave like Acrobat when closing a window with multiple tabs... if there are multiple tabs open and you're viewing a PDF, it'd be great if there'd be an option for Zotero to open a popup to confirm "Do you want to close Zotero or just this tab?"

• Oh, one related suggestion (that's much more minor)... It'd also be great if dragging tabs worked like it does on Firefox, Windows File Explorer, Acrobat, etc.

It'd be great if I could drag a PDF tab out of Zotero to make a new window with that tab open, and it'd be great if you could drag PDF tabs from window to window (including merging windows together if you, e.g., drag a single tab back into a window with multiple other tabs open).
  • First, a rotation button would be really nice (as a ton of journals format tables sideways, and they need to be rotated to read them).
    Isn't Edit -> Rotate Page Left/Right enough?
    Second, I routinely accidentally close Zotero when viewing a PDF (because I'll click the "X" button on the window out of habit). It'd be nice to have *an optional toggle* to make Zotero behave like Acrobat when closing a window with multiple tabs... if there are multiple tabs open and you're viewing a PDF, it'd be great if there'd be an option for Zotero to open a popup to confirm "Do you want to close Zotero or just this tab?"
    Doesn't it restore the tabs when you reopen Zotero after closing it? How exactly are you closing it?
    It'd be great if I could drag a PDF tab out of Zotero to make a new window with that tab open
    Currently it's only possible to Right click on a tab -> Move Tab -> Move to New Window.
  • > Isn't Edit -> Rotate Page Left/Right enough?

I didn't even realize that this option existed. Thank you for pointing it out. But yes, most PDF readers have a rotate button next to or near the zoom buttons.

> How exactly are you closing it?

When I'm working, it's easy to forget that the PDF is open in Zotero, as opposed to Acrobat. So, by reflex and habit, I'll click the "X" in the top right-corner of the program to close the PDF when I'm done with it. This ends up closing Zotero as a whole (and so when I go to insert a new citation in Word, I get the message that Word can't communicate with Zotero).

Yes, this is technically "user error." And so one solution is to tell people to "just get gud" at using Zotero. However, I'd argue effective UX is about making things as intuitive as possible and providing failsafes for user mistakes. Again, Acrobot has this function built in (as an optional feature). If you try to close Acrobat with multiple tabs open, it pops up a dialog box asking if you want to close the entire program or just the current tab (this can be disabled for people who don't like it).