directly inserting a highlighted passage in Word

New to Zotero. Browsed the Documentation, Knowledge Base, Tips&Tricks and this forum. But I did not found the best way to efficiently insert highlighted passages from a pdf/selected text from a website directly into a Word file with correct citation (in footnote). I found that you can first put it in a Note (in Zotero) and then insert this Note as a citation in Word, which works, but seems a lot of steps and not the formatting is not ideal (it puts some Annotations text before the actual text etc). Any suggestions?
  • It will be possible to insert annotations directly via the word processor plugins in a future version. For now, you do have to insert into a note and then insert the note into your document.
    it puts some Annotations text before the actual text etc
    Not sure what you mean by that. It puts highlighted text before your comments by default. You can customize that with note templates.
  • thanks. I noticed indeed that if I remove the title of the Annotation in the note, than it inserts correctly into word, being the highlighted text in the body and the reference in a footnote. I still have a 'Insert Note' in my Word Ribbon under Zotero, which only opens a yellow input box. Not sure if this is an artefact of a previous version, because in the documentation of the Word plugin that function is no longer mentioned?
  • edited 4 days ago
    Insert Note — with the yellow bar — is how you add Zotero notes to your word processor document. This was added in Zotero 6. I'm not sure what else you're referring to.

https://www.zotero.org/blog/zotero-6/#adding_notes_to_word_processors
  • I see a yellow input bar, but there is no drop down menu or any other means of selecting an existing note. It is completely blank. If I write anything in it, there is a running clock but nothing happens. The red bar (to insert a citation) works normal though.
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u14955265/6v5cgcbz72cp0id3x3a8.png
  • edited 2 days ago
    If you have a note selected in Zotero, it should be shown automatically in the note dialog (yellow bar), the same way you can see selected items in the citation dialog.

It does look like in Zotero 7, when a note isn't selected, the note dialog isn't automatically showing the most recently edited notes, which happened in Zotero 6. We'll fix that.

You should still be able to search for the contents of any note to insert it, though. If that's not working, we'd want to see a Debug ID for that.
  • searching does work indeed. It also automatically select the note selected in Zotero itself as you explained. But indeed, it does not show the most recently edited notes. Thanks for the clarifications.