filenames in the items list & screenrader accessibility

Hallo,

since last week, navigating through the entries of zotero database was very easy with screenreader NVDA.
During the last days I recognized the following problem: When I look for metadata automatically, the PDF- file is going to be renamed automatically. Since last week, I could easily find the correct file because of the name (author and title). Since this week, the PDF only is named PDF. I hoped, that is a bug, because it is very bad when using a screenreader and cannot recognize at the first sight, which PDF belongs to which entry.
This information destroy my hopes that is a bug: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/attachment_title_vs_filename.
Is there a possibility to undo that decision, in order so secure accessibility?

Thanks. kindly.
Bianca
  • edited 9 days ago
    This is intentional, as described there, but this wouldn't really be about PDFs specifically. You have the same situation with any child item — for example, a child note, or something titled "Snapshot", wouldn't repeat the parent item metadata. And, also as explained there, attachments saved from the web have always been given titles like "ScienceDirect Full Text PDF" by default, even if the behavior on manual renaming changed. You know what parent item it's linked to because the parent item is the item directly above it at level 1 in the list. I'm not sure about the specifics of how different screen readers handle hierarchical lists, but I would think they could provide ways to quickly determine the parent item for a given selected item.

The argument against repeating the parent item metadata applies equally here — it reduces audible noise just as it reduces visual noise.
  • Hello,

I cannot find any audible or visual noice. The title of the pdf is necessary for me to differenciate between the two pdfs a have at each entry: One accessible and than the original to control mistakes of the OCR. Both pdfs had different names and belong to the same entry. Now, both are named PDF. The problem is not primarily to get the relation between parent and child item. The names are necessary also to avoid false clicks. People with normal vision see wrong clicks easily.
    Is there an option to turn on or off the bad renaming as a free choice? That would be wonderful.

Thanks. Kindly. Bianca
  • edited 9 days ago
    The noise is repeating the parent item metadata.

But how exactly are you ending up with two PDFs named just “PDF”? That’s not the standard behavior. If you’re adding a second file, it should be titled based on the filename.

I’m also not sure how having an attachment title that just repeats the parent item metadata helps here.

You can always change the title in the right-hand pane to reflect what the attachment is.
  • Hello,

the behavior of the version 7.0,6 was great for me. I want to downgrade to get all information I need to work fluently. Can you give me a link to find the version please? I cannot find it.

I think it is different, wheather you see more informationn as noise or necessary. Working with screenreader you can stop reading, when it is to much information individually. Therefore you need different information provided.

I would like to have the choise, cause we know you can enable it.

For me for example the striped background in zotero is very noisy because of low vision. I would prefer to turn it off as it was in version 6 of zotero.

Kindly