Transfer Zotero to new computer

Hello,

I read from an article here in the Zotero website that copying the Zotero data folder is the recommended method, since exporting the database in Zotero RDF format is lossy.

However, I already started saving resources in Zotero in my new computer, so just replacing the Zotero data folder with the one copied from the old computer is not an option.

Thus I wanted to ask: What data exactly is lost when using the Zotero RDF export/import method?
  • edited September 16, 2024
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/transferring_a_library

You're already syncing, so the best option would just be to sync both computers.

The only catch is that you're at your file storage quota, so additional files above your quota wouldn't be transferred. You can add a storage plan or use WebDAV to sync all files. Otherwise, you can copy all folders from the 'storage' subfolder of the Zotero data folder on the old computer into the 'storage' folder on the new computer, replacing any that exist. (You should make a backup of the new data directory before doing anything, since folder merging behavior can vary.)
  • That can indeed be an option, but still, I'd like to know exactly what I will be missing with the Zotero RDF method?

What is it that is actually dropped?
  • For an incomplete list: any links to items in Word documents would break, you'd create a mess with your synced library (all items would duplicate), some newer item types might not transfer correctly, and some very specific fields (I think e.g. event title for conferences) won't transfer, older HTML Snapshots will break, and I don't think links from notes to items or attachments will transfer. Don't do it.
  • I always recommend the officialy provided options for such migrations. If something breaks, you have the official support to figure that out. But if you go the other way, you are mostly on your own.
  • edited 10 days ago
    I understand.

What is the reason for these issues? Shortcomings of the RDF format? Or just the importer/exporter that needs work?

Because Importing/Exporting libraries sounds like an important feature to have working.
  • The data loss could likely be prevented (it's pretty minimal) with some work on the importer/exporter.

The HTML Snapshot issue no longer an issue with current snapshot and was probably unavoidable the way they worked previously.

The issues with sync and word processor integration are by design of the data model -- export is designed to move data to someone else and so items shouldn't be linked to your documents or account: that's what sync is for.

So export import _is_ working. I don't see why a 100% loss-less export/import is an important feature to have working in the presence of a movable database and Sync.