Minimalist methodologies

Hello Folks

This is just a short note to promote simplification in Zotero.

Ver. 1 was revelationary but had the disadvantage of requiring Firefox browser, a slow memory hog. Ver. 2 now includes its own elements of overly bulky infrastructure.

I can't sit at one desk to accomplish my research, I must use a number of computers with varying capabilities. I include below a brief forum exchange from the K-Meleon browser forum:

REGARDING:

ZOTERO
Posted by: koona
Date: March 13, 2010 04:43AM

Hello folks

I am amazed that a search of the forums yields no reference to Zotero a FF plugin to help you collect, manage, cite, and share research sources. It is the cats ass for the intended purpose except for the fact that it requires memory hogging, cumbersome, firefox.

How about it folks? Anybody out there have tales to tell of making a nice research tool out of fast, cleanmachine, K-Meleon?

I would love to hear it if you do.

yours

douglas

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: ZOTERO
Posted by: disrupted
Date: March 13, 2010 09:38PM

douglas, i tried but even a programmer wouldn't be able to make that one work in k-meleon because it needs someone who knows their api.

unfortunately only the developers of zotero can make one for us.
you can contact them there
http://www.zotero.org/support/contact_us
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 14, 2010 04:29AM

koona, I doubt that I want the bulky infra structure that it needs in my every day browser - any time soon at least before my PCs get much more powerful.

I have extracted the XPI & read a little in some of the files - zotero invokes FF services such as drag and drop in XUL surfaces. & From what it does (on its home page there is a film that shows it in action) I assume it uses sqlite.

koona
except for the fact that it requires memory hogging firefox

So IMHO it needs the very services that cause FF to be "memory hogging".

Posted by: koona
Date: March 17, 2010 04:00AM

Thanks very much disrupted and guenter

The situation appears to be much as I expected, and as you suggest I think I will contact zotero again, and promote my minimalist viewpoints on personal computing methodologies.

I agree, guenter, bulking up K-Meleon's infrastructure would defeat it's strong points. On most of my machines I stick to 1.1.5 for that very reason.

thanks again

douglas
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So, this is a plea for some consideration of this "on the ground" real life problem. I'm sure I am not the only one affected.

yours

douglas
  • With all due respect, I haven't found Zotero or Firefox to be slow memory hogs. Without more concrete suggestions for improvement, or at least specific situations where you feel Zotero is sluggish, I'm not sure what exactly you hope to accomplish by this post. I'm sure everyone here is in favor of better software, so you can rest assured that you are not the only one who cares about efficiency.
  • Due respect noted and appreciated Ajlyon.

I reiterate: ""I can't sit at one desk to accomplish my research, I must use a number of computers with varying capabilities. ""

Quite regularly these computers lack the horsepower required to qualify as what are patronizingly referred to as "modern computers", even though ten years back they were the wonder of the western world. A "modern computer" is required to run Zotero v2 FF 3.

A concrete suggestion for improvement: Might a slimmed down version of Zotero be sublimated from the current and ongoing developments, that would be more suitable to the computing needs and capabilities of third world NGO's, and indeed many domestic NGO's and less well funded public service research entities?

As to what I wish to accomplish by this post: I suppose I aspire to spread awareness of the fact that the concept "better software" is defined primarily by the underpinnings of ones viewpoint.

yours

douglas