numbering frequently off in citation lists

I am not sure if this is a citation issue or a Mac word plugin issue. I'll try here first.

I am writing a big proposal under midnight deadline, of course. In the text, using Nature, JAMA or any others I've tried, I often get numbers for citations that are not properly ordered, like this 73,66 or this 108,106,109,105,107,57. Yikes, does that look stupid or what?

Any suggestions?
  • hmmm - the styles are right - Nature, for example has
    <sort>
    <key variable="citation-number"/>
    </sort>

some of this has been a bit pesky for a while I believe, though I've never actually experienced it myself- but I don't think anyone has ever figured out when and why.
    What happens if you toggle back the "keep items sorted" checkbox in the plugin?
  • Adam,

Thanks. If I open the group by Edit Citation, then I think it is View Editor, the ref under question sorts itself correctly. But I have to go in an do it manually for each series that is wrong, and not all are wrong, less than 10% probably. Cannot figure out anything unique about that 10% yet.

Rob
  • OK - that means you'll probably have to do that - but that seems doable at least, if understandably annoying under deadline.
    Only other thing I could think of is trying the "refresh document" (or whatever it is called - in the Word plugin) button but I'm not super optimistic.
  • Adam,

The only real hassle of the manual redo is that Zotero refreshes or reformats the whole doc every time I do one of these 'edit citation' moves. Any way to turn that off, what might be called an auto-update feature?

Thanks,

Rob
  • oh, that's not good - you can "break" the citation by doing something in the show editor window (e.g. delete and manually rewrite one number - but it will stop updating from then on (but the info will still be in the bibliography etc). As a final editing solution that works, thought it's ugly.