When I try to access JSTOR via my university's library I get a blank screen

This discussion was created from comments split from: Does JSTOR block Zotero? Stable URL not working to load citation.
  • Report ID: 717372824
    Since the beginning of summer 2024, Zotero has blocked my access to JSTOR. More precisely, I can find an article in JSTOR when I search in Google, but when I try to access it via my university's library (Bobcat at NYU) I get a blank screen.
  • (Please start new threads for new issues — the thread you posted to isn't related. I've moved this to a new thread.)

If you temporarily disable the Zotero Connector, does it start working?

If so, go to the Proxies tab of the Zotero Connector preferences. What is entered for Configured Proxies?
  • Alas, no, I have disabled the Zotero Connector and JSTOR still does not work.

At least I think that I have disabled it. Here's what it shows under "Preferences: General":
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u2241674/7a8amsd5mdotds952q9f.png

And here's what it shows under "Proxies":
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u2241674/hpoytjs6qop4hjv1etvp.png

At present I have access to the NYU library's online catalogue ("Bobcat") but not to JSTOR. (I have re-enabled and re-authorized Zotero since taking the screenshot.)

Thank you for your help! Zotero is an amazing program which has become essential to my research and my teaching.
  • No, change the "Disable proxy redirection when my domain name contains" back to .edu and uncheck that setting. I wasn't referring to that.

I’m talking about actually disabling the Zotero Connector completely in Firefox's Extensions pane. We're just confirming that this is actually related to Zotero.
  • I reset the proxy. Then I disabled Zotero Connector. But the JSTOR problem is persisting. So it may have been a coincidence that the emergence of the problem coincided with the Zotero request to reset the proxy for JSTOR. I will ask NYU's library staff if they can figure out what is wrong.

Thank you for your help!
  • Update: when I searched through my previous email correspondence with our library staff about a similar problem, I saw that they had advised me to clear my browser cache and delete all cookies. So I did that again, and now JSTOR works. I still don't know if the problem was a cookie related to Zotero, but in any case the radical solution works.