Sudden significant lag with Word connector [Zotero 7]

edited 27 days ago
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a lag between initiating a new citation/edit and the Zotero toolbar appearing? This has started happening with me the last few days.

I’ve updated Zotero, restarted everything, followed the troubleshooting instructions (re-added plugin etc.) and no luck. I’m guessing it’s an issue on my end, but I am not sure what to do. I’d be most grateful for any suggestions.

I know that previously I could uninstall/reinstall Zotero without losing data, is that the same for Zotero 7 (I don’t want to assume anything given it’s beta).

Platform: Mac Ventura 13.6.1

Note: I just timed it, and the delay was 16.69s. It might not seem like much, but it does bring me to a halt.
  • Can you provide a Debug ID for reproducing this?

If this is a large document, do you have "Automatically update citations" disabled in the plugin's Document Preferences window?

(And yes, you can switch between Zotero 6 and 7 at any time. You can even just leave both in Applications with different names so we can continue to debug this if necessary.)
  • Hello,
    I'm experiencing a similar situation myself. Fortunately, I was able to resolve it. Mr. Dstillman suggested that I share my experience with a debug ID and screen recording, which I did. However, my Word document is very large and complex. One of the sections in my document had a footnote. I read a guideline in Zotero that mentioned this could cause delays. I had also added a cover page in Word, which I removed. I even copied the entire text into a new document. But when I clicked on "Add Citation," strangely, the preferences window popped up.

Like Mr. Dstillman suggested to you, I also started using two versions of Zotero (6 and 7) simultaneously. Unfortunately, I'm in a hurry with my thesis. However, I eventually reached a point where I wait exactly 2 minutes and 30 seconds after clicking "Add Citation" before the citation bar appears on the screen. My platrofm ise Mac Sonoma 14.6.1 btw.

Therefore, while trying Mr. Dstillman's suggested approach, you might want to review your document in this way. I should mention that it helped to some extent for me.