Word cannot communicate with Zotero - Mac

I am having a communication problem with Zotero on Word 2008 for Mac. It was working fine until I updated to the most recent versions of Zotero 2.0.1 and Zotero MacWord Integration 3.0a9. I have Firefox 3.6.

I tried re-installing the MacWord Integration addon to no effect and also tried disabling all my add-ons except for the Zotero ones. I am still getting the communication error message. What can I do?
  • edited March 13, 2010
    Open Terminal (via Spotlight if you don't know where to find it) and paste in this:

ls -la /Users/Shared/.zotero*
    and hit Return.

Then do the same for this:

ls -la ~/.zotero*
    Tell us the result of both commands.
  • The result of the first command was:

prw-r--r-- 1 Susan C wheel 0 13 Mar 16:39 /Users/Shared/.zoteroIntegrationPipe_Susan C

and the result of the second was:

ls: /Users/Susan C/.zotero*: No such file or directory
  • OK, this is an issue with the latest plugin version when using an OS X account with a space in the username.

We'll get a new plugin out that fixes this, but as a quick (untested) workaround, try this from Terminal:

mv /Users/Shared/.zotero* ~/.zoteroIntegrationPipe
  • Thanks for your help but that unfortunately didn't resolve the issue. I'm still getting the message "Word cannot communicate with Zotero"
  • I'm having the same issue and similar reports with the terminal responses.
  • The issue with OS X account names containing spaces is now fixed in the latest MacWord plugin. You can update via Firefox's Tools menu -> Add-ons -> Extensions -> Find Updates or from the installation page.