Authorization error with Zotero Connector for Chrome on Kiwi Browser (Android)

This discussion was created from comments split from: Available for beta testing: Zotero for Android.
  • Android beta and the Zotero Chrome Connector — I am one of the fortunate users of Zotero,s 7 and Android beta versions. On my Windows 11 PC I run with full satisfaction the Android beta version with Chrome and the Zotero Chrome Connector, which connects seemlessly with my Zotero library, both desktop and online. On my Android 14 device, I installed the browser Kiwi Browser which runs Chrome extensions on Android. I them.installed the Zotero Chrome Connector from the Chrome Webstore. The installation went well but the Connnector does not get permission to connect with my Zotero library (not desktop nor online). When I click to authorize the Connector I systematically get this message: "Authorization could not be completed. An invalid response was received from the Zotero server". Do I do something wrong? Thanks.
  • edited August 12, 2024
    I don't know anything about Kiwi Browser, but we support the desktop versions of Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Safari, so you certainly shouldn't expect the Zotero Connector to work elsewhere.

On iOS the app provides a share extension that enables saving similar to the Zotero Connector. Android unfortunately doesn't make that possible, so running the Zotero Connector in some browser that makes that possible and saving directly to the web library might be an option, but this isn't something we've looked into. We can take a look at Kiwi Browser.
  • edited August 14, 2024
    @dstillman: thank you for your quick answer. I just discovered Kiwi Browser myself as I had been looking for a solution to save directly from a browser to Zotero on my Samsung phone running Android 14. Kiwi Browser runs Chrome extensions under Android. I successfully installed the Chrome Zotero Connector on Kiwi Browser on Android but when I try to authorize it to connect to my Zotero.org account, I receive an error message. The Chrome Zotero Connector works perfectly with Chrome on my Windows 11 computer though, and other Chrome Connectors work perfectly with Kiwi Browser on Android, such as Save to Pocket.