Groups - transferring ownership to new account on same computer

When I first signed up for Zotero I registered with my personal email account, and this is the account that opens by default on my home and work computers. I use Zotero primarily for work and have recently created a private group for the research advisory committee I am an assistant for. Now that I have started this shared group and foresee its existence potentially outlasting my employment with this committee, I would like to transfer group ownership to a work email account that is administered by me and my boss.

My question is can I do the following: create a new account on the same (work) computer that I have been using with my personal account, transfer group ownership from my personal account to this new work account (leaving my personal account as an admin), sign in under the new work account on the same (work) computer (by changing username and password in Sync Preferences?), pay for increased storage with the new work account, AND have the storage limit be affiliated with the new work account rather than my old personal account?

It seems to me that this will work but I don't want to lose the library I have begun to create, or mess things up by trying to use two different accounts (interchangeably) on the same computer.

Thanks!
  • I believe that trying to switch between 2 different Zotero accounts with the same Firefox profile would be unwise if not impossible. It would probably be best to create a separate Firefox profile for your second account.
  • Are you trying to switch between the two multiple times? Don't do that.

If you're just trying to switch from one to the other, it should be fine. Zotero detects the change in accounts and resets the group libraries, and if you have a personal library it will sync up to the new account. Just be sure you have a backup of your Zotero data directory.

If you're trying to switch back and forth between the two, then multiple profiles is what you want.
  • Thank you both for the prompt replies! With your sage advise I've created a new Firefox profile and will be backing up my library and transferring group ownership to the work account next week. I think this will provide the perfect solution to my and the committee's needs moving forward, but if I run into any hiccups I'll re-post.