Glitch with update Zotero blocking Firefox start

Yesterday when I started Firefox, the Mozilla program updated itself (though it did hang for awhile and the usual update window did not appear). Then the Zotero add-ons updated, as usual. But I got an error message that said the following:

"The Zotero MacWord Integration installation succeeded, but a necessary component does not appear to be loaded properly.
Zotero can attempt to correct this for you. A Firefox restart will be required. Continue?"

Everytime I press "continue" the same message reappears to no resolution. And also when I quite Firefox and restart, the message reappears. I simply can't open Firefox without this message appearing and having to click "cancel" instead of continue.

What to do? uninstall the Zotero MacWord integration add-on altogether and re-install? Please advise
  • I am getting the same error. I tried updating to Zotero 2.0.1, which did not resolve the problem.
  • edited March 12, 2010
    I experienced the same problem. I remembered that sometimes Zotero was not compatible with specific firefox add-ons, so I deactivated (just temporarily) manually all add-ons except for Zotero itself, and everything worked as expected - I just followed the instructions, converted the old database to the new format and restarted firefox. Everything seems to be fine so far, also Zotero is much quicker now.
  • Yes this worked. Actually it was the python extension that was the problem. I found instructions for uninstalling it and reinstalling the compatible version for Firefox 3.6 from the zotero.org website. So far so good. Thanks!!