Here's a deal for cloud storage

I'd support zotero financially if it did not necessitate to "upgrade storage" with some provider I'd rather not. I already have cloud storage subscription elsewhere, more than enough, so paying 120/year for another (unlimited) storage is just redundant. Can't be the only one who feels that way.

Why not implement cloud storage support and enable it for users with an alternative subscription/support plan for zotero? Like, one pays 80/month (or whatever) but can just comfortably use the provider of cloud storage already used.
  • Zotero does offer cloud storage support via webDAV without any need for payment. It just doesn't work for groups and that'd be a similar issue with other cloud storage options (which would have the added disadvantage of not using an open protocol, so, hypothethically, Zotero would have to build and maintain support for GDrive, Box, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc. separately).

While yes, I'm sure there are sustainability considerations, the reason to offer Zotero storage is principally technical, not commercial. It's tightly integrated with the rest of Zotero and works simply and reliably. I view paying for Zotero storage not primarily as paying for storage volume (which, sure, I have with 3 other providers, too) but as paying for not having to think about Zotero storage.