"near-note" sensitivity ?

I feel like "near-note" setup is resetting frequently. As long as the citation is a few pages away, Zotero stops displaying "op. cit." as I want it, and shows the full citation.

Is there something I missed, here ?
https://framagit.org/CelianGdfrd/zot-juristhese-fr
  • That looks right in general (though you have position tests in the bibliography, which don't make any sense and I don't think should validate?)

Note that near-note applies to all footnotes, not just Zotero-created ones
  • After messing up with a friend's theme, it seems that there's a near-note-distance parameter involved, but it's not documented anywhere. I'll just copy this setting.

How to understand this variable and adjust it accordingly please ?
  • Thanks ! I'm not sure to understand what the number we have to choose from corresponds to, though.
  • The distance between footnotes for which near-note is true. So if the distance is 5, and you have last cited a work in footnote 3, footnotes 4-8 are near-note, 9 onwards aren't
  • That is very clear, thank you very much.

I found its location in the CSL Style Editor, having to go in Global Formatting Option > Inline Citations > Near-note-distance ! I've set it to 19 as it seems to be the maximum. I'll try to set it higher via code edition later. Style now works as I wish.

Thank you all for your help !
  • Wait, what are you trying to do with this? The only reason you need near-note is if you want footnotes close to the originally citing one to look different from ones further away. If you want it basically always be true, you can just work with position="subsequent" as most footnote styles do.
  • You're right, that's what I was trying to do. Thanks a lot, I didn't know this parameter was a thing
  • Can I ask: Does altering this in the CSL Style Editor require you to create an alternate copy of the style?
  • Yes, see the following guide. If you don't change the ID etc. as outlined, Zotero will just overwrite your style with the next update.
    https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step