Zotero 6 Stuck/Crashing on Edit Citation Window (MS Word, Windows 11)

edited July 27, 2024
Hi, I'm using Zotero 6 with MS Word and I'm running into this issue where Zotero is incredibly slow to work and crashing, especially when editing citations. However, there is no problem with the Firefox add-on when adding the documents. Here are some things I have already tried:

- It is a big document with many citations, but I have split them into smaller documents, but the issue is still occuring. Right now, the document is around 44 pages with 173 citations.
- I have disabled automatic updates.
- I've tried restarting my PC and also restarting Word and Zotero (this works for 1-2 citations and then the problem reoccurs).
- I've also uninstalled and re-installed MS Word.
- I've tried copying & pasting the content to a fresh MS Word document.
- I've disabled all Zotero add-ons except the core ones I need to use.

I'm not sure what is going on. It shouldn't be a RAM issue since I have 64 GB RAM installed. I'm quite lost on what to do but this dissertation is due soon so the freezing is making the document unworkable. The debug ID I got when I ran the debug during the 'edit citation' window when it slows down is D2101262409. I'd be really grateful for any help possible.
  • Here is the debug ID for a fresh installation of Word: D759521225
  • I've disabled all Zotero add-ons except the core ones I need to use.
    For us to help you, you need to disable all third-party plugins. If you can still reproduce this that way, we'll look at another Debug ID from Zotero startup for that.
  • I tried that last time (before Word reinstallation for the second time) and it didn't work but I tried it just now and it worked?? I have no idea what happened but thank you!! I'm sorry, I should have re-checked that again too.

Proceeding from here, does this mean I should enable the third-party add-ons carefully one by one to check which one is causing this issue?
  • Yes, exactly.
  • Got it, I'll do that. I was panicking so your responses helped a lot. Thank you very much for your time!