Linking files to an entry leaves Zotero non-responsive for minutes

When I link a file in the filesystem of my local computer to a Zotero item, zotero does not respond for a short time. This short time can be seconds but also minutes. During this time, tags can be added, but without proposals according to the first letters typed in. Colored tags added by Number are not displayd until the idle time is over. I cannot determine, what makes this idle time short or long. I am working offline, no sync or access to a server is involved. This effect slows down my work, has anyone an advice for me?
Thanky in advance.
  • Can you provide a Debug ID for reproducing this?
  • Hi,
    The Debug ID is ID D1155775069

I have restarted Zotero, went to the item that I wanted to edit. Then I linked a file from the filesystem. During the following time, I pressed the key 1. 1 adds the tag DLib to the Item. After doing this 3x, the attachment appeared under the item and a few seconds later, the tag was added and visible by a green dot at the item.

Then I submitted the protocol.
    Thanks an greeting
    Michael
  • (3)(+0000637): Indexing file N:\[…]\Zotero\storage\[…]
    Is your Zotero data directory on a network drive?
  • No network, completely local. But the drive is virtual. It is mapped by Veracrypt from an encrypted file of 700 GB. However, I have never had any performance problems with other software or other functions of Zotero such as importing items (even great numbers).
  • edited July 26, 2024
    You should test with at least the linked file on the non-virtualized local disk, if not the data directory.
  • I have tested.
    Zotero is installed on the system volume C:
    Data directory is on the virtual volume

Linking a copy of the same file from the data directory or from c:/temp appears to be a little bit slower. But I have the impression, that Zotero learns. Linking gets quicker when done repetedly during one session. It also looks as if it depends of how Zotero is feeling this day.

So, your suspicion, that the virtualization or encryption of the volume may play a role, might be a good hint. So I will be patient. After all, there is no eroor occuring.
  • edited July 26, 2024
    That wouldn't be about Zotero. It would be about your OS's file cache if anything.

To be clear, linking a file should be more or less instantaneous. If it's talking longer than a second or two, something is very wrong on your system.

Note that having the database in a virtualized filesystem like that is very unusual and not anything we've tested.

Can you restart your computer and provide a Debug ID for Zotero startup through reproducing this, using the "Restart with Logging Enabled…" option?