Wanting to develop a new plugin: any news about Zotero 7 release date?

Hello,
I'm planning to write a new plugin for having recommendations from Semantic Scholar directly into Zotero.

I don't want to use Zotero 7 until it's stable, though. Any idea about when it could be released? It would be a pity writing the plugin for Zotero 6 if the release is in the next days/weeks...
  • Zotero never announces release dates, but my understanding is that there are pretty firm intentions to release before the beginning of the US Fall semester, so I'd definitely not work on anything for Z6 right now.
  • There is a thread somewhere on here where a user provided a GitHub repository for a boilerplate plugin, adapted for 7. That should be a good base for you to start an extension.
  • edited July 25, 2024
    (Here I think.)
  • Having recently used the above framework, I definitely recommend using it! I'd never coded in TS before but that framework added a tonne of support and features which removed a lot of headaches.

As for developing for Z6 vs Z7, Z7 is based on a much more recent framework than Z6 (Z6 is based on Firefox 60, Z7 is based on Firefox 115, which is _five years_ worth of updates and features), meaning developing for both is much more of a hassle than just one or the other due to a bunch of changes to how different things work. Given that, and the fact that Z7 is stable enough for plugin development at least, I'd recommend just developing on the newer platform.
  • Thanks for the advice. In the meantime, it's available as a CLI tool: https://github.com/00sapo/zotero_recommender