Epub with long filenames not opening in web viewer

I've been using the game changing new epub reader (unfortunately only via safari in ios or Firefox/chrome on boox android but looking forward to it coming to the betas).

However, I added a lot of new books and could not open them in the web library. They did not show up as ebooks only as files (the wrong icon). The files were named after the ISBNs of the books like "9788205504172.epub" and when I shortened the file names and re-uploaded the files they started to work.

Is there a problem with long file names in zotero? I can't remember encountering such a problem with pdfs.

I've added an example screen shot where you can see that all the non-pdfs show up as files except the topmost with a shortened file name
https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u1102525/rve7kcymc9z3z0aoyy5p.jpg
  • The filename isn't relevant. The files just weren't recognized as EPUB files originally, and the web library isn't currently checking again the way the desktop app does. When you open them on the desktop, it fixes the detected content type.

How did you add these files to your library originally? Is it possible you saved them on iOS?
  • Ok! I didn't think about that possibility. I probably added the problem epubs on my iphone (ios beta) and the others (that worked) on my computer with the 7 beta from calibre. When I downloaded the files and added them again via the web library upload function it worked even with the long file names.

Thanks for the help! I look forward to the epub reader coming to the ios and Android betas!

• We'll fix that in the iOS app. For now, just opening in the desktop and syncing should correct it.
  • @oyvindbs: Can you actually reproduce this with a new file saved from the phone? If so, can you provide exact steps to reproduce?
  • It does not seem to be a problem anymore. I've opened multiple epubs (also new files) and none behaved like before. I wasn't able to add files to zotero ios from inside the app, but shared them from finder on ios. When I opened the web library after adding them the epubs are possible to open.

I hope this means you've made a fix to the web library (thank you!) and I'll let you know if it happens again.