two separate bibliographies for one document

I am writing a PhD based on participant observation. My thesis should include a separate bibliography for references to data/datasets, created by myself. I have a number of documents - some are like field notes, some are interviews, som are unpublished reports that I have written both before and after my data gathering. I woud like to refer to them in the body of the thesis, in a way that makes it clear that these are not academic citations, and I'd like to have them listed separately as in a bibliogrphy. Do I need to cite them manually coud I use Mendeley ? Or is there a wasy to get Zotero to do it ?
  • edited July 25, 2024
    You can't generate two bibliographies in the same document from the plugin, but you can always keep track of those items in a separate collection, use Quick Copy to create citations for them, and generate a separate bibliography manually. There's certainly no reason you need to use a separate tool.
  • Thanks for the comment, I don't understand the remark about creating citations. Quick copy inserts a link not a citation, and if I do insert a citation it will result in an entry in the generated bibliography, will it not ?
    I have the documents in a separate collection, so Zotero will generate bibliography and citations manually for them (but I would have to move those that I cite to a separate collection and remove any that that I might edit out so they are not in the collection).. I was hoping to automate that.
  • No, Quick Copy copies a citation or bibliography to the clipboard or via drag-and-drop.
  • if I drag a Zotero item into word I get a link like: http://zotero.org/users/4928446/items/JQZWBAS2
    (the same whether I press SHIFT or CTL) - maybe I have set it up to do that ? I seem to remember that I wanted to be able to link into Zotero from within my document.

I can generate a manual citation like (Prehn [Transcripts Dataset], 2023) that is just text and will not show up in the bibliography generated by Zotero, but I have to keep track of them myself.
  • How quick copy citations look depends on the default output format you have set in the Zotero prefs under Export.
    That said, having your primary sources (let's call them that for lack of a better term) use a different in-text style and be sorted differently in the bibliography is probably _possible_, but requires a fair amount of fairly technical fiddling. I'd guess manually tracking them (which you would need to do when using quick copy) is just going to be easier for you.
    Using a second tool in the same document will cause mayhem, and you'd still need to adjust the citation style because nothing in Mendeley will output (Prehn [Transcripts Dataset], 2003), so I'd not do that.
  • The instructions for Quick Copy may be helpful for you. https://www.zotero.org/support/creating_bibliographies