Constantly "(Not Responding)"

Hello,

I am running the latest version of Zotero (6.0.36) and checked for updates.

This is on a PC. This is on Windows 11 Home, 64-bit.

Laptop is a ROG Zephyrus M16 laptop. CPU = 13 Gen Intel Core i9-13900H 2.60 Ghz. RAM = 64.0 GB.

Literally every 5-10 seconds I use Zotero (whether I simply scroll to read further, try to highlight something, add a sticky, etc.), it freezes and gives the "(Not Responding)" message at the top of the window. I have to wait maybe 10-15 seconds for it to go away.

I check my task manager and it's not because Zotero is overtaxing my CPU or RAM.

I am really at a loss as to why this is happening. It started happening with Mendeley, so I switched and, in the beginning, Zotero performed really well. I could have a ton of tabs open and it didn't skip a beat. Now Zotero is (Not Responding) all the time and freezing. Any thoughts?
  • Start by disabling all third-party plugins if you're running any. Beyond that, we'd want to see a Debug ID for this happening. But if you were seeing this with another app, there's a pretty good chance it's a more general problem on your system. This obviously isn't any sort of normal behavior.
  • Hello,

I don't have any third-party plugins, but I did disable the Word and Libre Office plugins and restarted. It is still doing it. I will try the Debug ID next.
  • Ok, just did the Debug ID thing.

D1956870425
  • Can I get some help with this? It is still occurring.
  • Paste 'Y6QT7D9N' into the search bar in All Fields & Tags mode in the library root.

That's some file with a very strange extension. Do you know what that file is? Can you open it in the PDF reader? If not, does it open if you rename it with a .pdf extension?

• https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u14516619/jglepadrfexwmcyv8o3s.png

That's what comes up. When I double-click the item at the very top I am asked what program to use to open it this ".cit3apubre" file. I choose Adobe Acrobate and I can open it with that.
  • Right, so try renaming it with a .pdf extension.
  • I just deleted it altogether from Zotero.

Same issue is persisting. The (Not responding) status at the top of the reference manager is still occurring.
  • edited 5 days ago
    Did you empty the trash?

If so, we'd want to see another Debug ID, then. That item was causing syncs to repeatedly fail, which could have been causing high CPU usage.