Zotero 7 beta: Infinite loop in terminal

This discussion was created from comments split from: Available for beta testing: Zotero, redesigned.
  • Hello,

Running Ubuntu 24.04 LTS, I downloaded and uncompressed the tarball 7.0.0-beta.105+c5c613c82 (64-bit).

I m not comfortable switching yet because after calling the zotero executable from the new directory, I get the following error message on startup:

[Parent 108585, IPC I/O Parent] WARNING: process 108655 exited on signal 11: file /builds/worker/checkouts/gecko/ipc/chromium/src/base/process_util_posix.cc:264

And then, after a few seconds, it repeats in an infinite loop (the process number increments by 3 between each message):
    [Parent 108585, IPC I/O Parent] WARNING: process 110139 exited on signal 11: file /builds/worker/checkouts/gecko/ipc/chromium/src/base/process_util_posix.cc:264

[Parent 108585, IPC I/O Parent] WARNING: process 110142 exited on signal 11: file /builds/worker/checkouts/gecko/ipc/chromium/src/base/process_util_posix.cc:264

[Parent 108585, IPC I/O Parent] WARNING: process 108648 exited on signal 11: file /builds/worker/checkouts/gecko/ipc/chromium/src/base/process_util_posix.cc:264

Apparently the program keeps starting a process that immediately crashes. Anybody has seen that behavior?
    The problem persists after I uninstalled all plugins.
    The problem persists when I launch with options safe-mode, headless, headless safe-mode, no-remove
    I don't see error message loop on the jsconsole

Is there a way to investigate this further? Should I open a bug ticket?

Thanks in advance,
    Minh
  • edited July 22, 2024
    (Please start new threads for new issues — your question isn't remotely related to a thread about a UI redesign. I've moved this to a new thread.)

I'm seeing those messages in 24.04 (though not in 22.04), but they stop for me after five of them. Do they not for you? We'll investigate, but unless you're actually seeing some adverse effect (e.g., high CPU usage), you don't really need to worry about what appears in the terminal.
  • Hi Dan,

Sorry about the wrong location post. I counted over 5000 messages in a 5mn trial, so they did not stop. Using top, CPU use jumps to and remain at around 115% when error messages start to appear, I suppose that counts as one core fully occupied.

The file process_util_posix.cc seem to be imported by Mozilla from the Chromium source tree.

If I look at the file in the Chromium source tree, I see that line 264 is :
    if (RunningOnValgrind()) {
    but I am not sure that the version I use is this one.

The system logs (journalctl -xe) show lots of similar error messages:

juil. 22 17:06:07 doudou kernel: audit: type=1400 audit(1721660767.765:43652): apparmor="AUDIT" operation="userns_create" class="namespace" inf>
    juil. 22 17:06:07 doudou kernel: Sandbox Forked[182118]: segfault at 0 ip 000071d7f98e23b2 sp 000071d7ea0803d0 error 6 in libxul.so[71d7f98bd00>
    juil. 22 17:06:07 doudou kernel: Code: 8b 0d d2 d4 f8 08 48 89 01 c7 04 25 00 00 00 00 5a 02 00 00 e8 f7 45 fe ff 48 8d 05 ee 88 e6 05 48 8b 0d>

Poe says: The system log messages you provided indicate that there is a segmentation fault occurring within the libxul.so library, which is a core component of Zotero’s engine (XULRunner). The error also mentions the AppArmor security module, which might be restricting certain operations.

The apparmor logs show:
    juil. 22 17:11:29 doudou kernel: audit: type=1400 audit(1721661089.315:46171): apparmor="AUDIT" operation="userns_create" class="namespace" info="Userns create - transitioning profile" profile="unconfined" pid=186693 comm=495043204C61756E6368 requested="userns_create" target="unprivileged_userns"

Problem persists if I remove apparmor from the system.

Seems to be a XULRunner error then?

Minh
  • If I look at the file in the Chromium source tree, I see that line 264 is […] but I am not sure that the version I use is this one.
    No, it's just this.

"Sandbox Forked" is from here.

We'll see if we can figure out what would be triggering these, but as of yet we haven't received any other reports of this for the year-plus that Z7 has been in beta.
  • @haduong: Can you reproduce this in a new Zotero profile, pointed at a new, empty directory?
  • I started zotero 7 with -P , created an new empty profile.
    Then I repeated 3 times this behavior:

The launcher window appears
    No error message before I click the "Start Zotero" button
    One error message
    after about 1 second
    Another error message
    The main window appears and after a few seconds...
    Entering the error messages loop.

I won't open a ticket, the incriminated files so far seem to belong to mozilla not to zotero. Is there any other XULrunner application on Ubuntu I could try ?
  • (You wouldn't open a ticket because this is where we provide all support. We open tickets in our or upstream bug trackers as appropriate.)

This being in a Mozilla line doesn't really mean anything in terms of whether this is a bug in Zotero. But you should try Firefox 115 ESR and see if you see the same thing.
  • Wow, thanks for the support (and for Zotero in the first place). This is indeed exceptional, and I did notice your expertise answering my previous posts over the years.

I uninstalled Firefox, installed firefox-ESR, reopened zotero7 with an empty profile: the warning message loop is still present :(
  • Oh, no, I meant just check whether you see the problem in Firefox 115 ESR itself. That's what Zotero 7 is based on.
  • I don't see this error message loop with Firefox 115 ESR or 128.0 (both 64-bit).
  • Offending behavior does not appear in Zotero7 released today. Case closed.