Word crashes when inserting citation but Zotero stays open

Hi,
I'm having trouble with a +60 pages document in Word that I can't divide for now.
When clicking on insert citation, Word closes and Zotero research open alone. Word then restart with an automatically saved document.

I'm on Windows 10. Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045
Word processor 6.0.4.SA.6.0.36 and version : 2406 build 17726.20160
Zotero : 6.0.36
Bibliographic style : selfmade but using since 5 years without problems.
I've a disabled the automatic update of citations format.

I worked on my document this morning without problem. Then when restarting in the afternoon, 1st citation was problematic. I tried on others documents : no problem.
I've tried to restart computer, Zotero and Word. I've checked the updates (Word, Zotero, Word). I've added no update between this morning and this afternoon.

I have a debug log if it can help.

Please I need to work on this document I can't restart it it's my PhD!

Thanks
  • Sorry for the trouble. Recent versions of Word for Windows have had some stability issues with Zotero. If your document has a table of contents you should remove it and see if it works then. If it doesn't, you will have to follow Troubleshooting Errors in Word Processor Documents.
  • Hi, thanks for your reply.
    I've tried removing the table of contents. It do'esn't work. BUT for some reason if I try to insert a citation on the first page. It does work... doesn't help but weird... I've tried everything on the troubleshooting page except copy of the content (5) and isolate the problematic citation (11) which let's be honest is a terrible process.
    Going for number 5 : Hope I won't loose any formating in the process.
  • edited July 17, 2024
    11 sounds difficult, but actually it's a very quick process. A 100-page document will only take 6 or 7 steps to cut down to a single page.
  • Ok, nevermind, I wanted to give the number 11 a shot. And I tried not to supress some part of my content but to "fold" the sections. And since then it's working again. BTW : I realise that "folding" the sections I am not writing in makes Zotero work faster.