Zotero major crash: not adding references, error updating document message, changing doc format

Hello all

Zotero has complete gone innoperative. It's not adding references (even in new blank documents), it's messing up existing references (changing numbers and format), trying to make it work changes the format of the document (the margins and fonts), and it displays the "Zotero experienced an error updating your document" message.

I uninstalled and installed Zotero, checking its the latest version, I updated Word to its latest version, I tried new/blank documents, I tried changing the name of the file to one with no spaces, I uninstalled/installed the Zotero-Word add-in, closing/opening the apps, restarting my computer. Nothing has helped.

Could you help me solve this and continue enjoying Zotero as my reference app?

pcistern
  • Let's step back. What's the exact problem you're seeing in a new, empty document? Can you provide a Report ID?
  • The exact problem is that I try to include a reference, and a "Zotero experienced an error updating your document" notification appears.

This happens in the current document I'm working on and older versions of the same document. It also happens in a new and blank document. I restarted Zotero, Word, and my laptop, and nothing. I also uninstalled and installed Zotero, deleted Zotero 6 and installed Zotero 7, and the problem persists.

Report ID: 2115655973
    Operating system: Windows 11 Pro 22H2
    System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Thank you very much
  • My latest update: I uninstalled and re-installed Microsoft Word, and the problem persists in both old and new/blank documents.

I even purchased more space after receiving a message saying that some of my files wouldn't sync because I ran out of space in my Zotero account. I also tried to remove some suspicious references from the Zotero app, but it didn't help.

Please help me, I'm really desperate, I cannot work without Zotero running.

Thank you!
  • What is the full version of Word that you are running? Can you produce a Debug ID for an attempt to insert a citation in a new document?
  • Hi adomasven

Yes, here is the info:

Debug: D1203860880
    Microsoft® Word for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2406 Build 16.0.17726.20078) 64-bit

Thank you

Pablo
  • You are running a Beta build of Word. You should opt out of that and make sure you are running the most up-to-date version.
  • edited July 18, 2024
    We are not in a beta build of word. Is there a phone number I could contact to get this resolved?
  • 17726.20078 was an Insider Preview build from June 11. It's possible you've since opted out of the Insider program, but the current stable version of 2406 appears to be 17726.20160. You should install that.

This is where all support happens. You're talking directly to two Zotero developers.