[Zotero 7 Beta] Support for book Translators

My question is about support for translators in Zotero — both in the UI and in footnotes.

I have a number of different books where there are multiple translators of a single work — for example same title, Dante's Inferno, but with multiple translators (books).

UI QUESTION
========
I just installed the latest beta (7.0.0-beta.99+174bde745) and I see that the UI still does not have any support for 'Translator' in the columns. Also the 'Creator' column defaults to the 'Author' field. This means, essentially, I cannot see anything about the translator in the book list. Obviously, for translated books like Dante's Inferno; Purgatorio; Paradiso the translator is very relevant and important.

Then, when picking a book to cite, in the book selection popup again the translator is not listed/visible, one only sees the original author — which makes it difficult to select the correct book.

Is it possible to have (more) support for 'Translator'.

CITE/FOOTNOTE QUESTION
=================
Related to the above (and understanding that this regards citation styles) I would ideally like to see the translator (if there is one) in the footnote. I'm using default:

Chicago Manual of Style 17th Edition (note, with ibid.)

that is installed with Zotero.

Is seeing the translator in a footnote fully down to the style (I'm guessing it is obviously) has anyone setup/edited Chicago to include the translator in footnotes, or is it not the 'done thing' to include the translator. The problem is it is impossible to see which translated book is being cited with just the Author & Title. Or should I use another style that has support for translator, or publication date as well.
  • The full note Chicago style lists translators in the first note. The note style lists only basic information and the rest in the bibliography.

I can see that it might be ideal to include the translator in short citations when working with multiple translations of the same work, but that's of course a very specific requirement that doesn't make a lot of sense for a more general style -- we certainly don't have such a version available for any style I'm aware of.

For citing, note that in the beta, the add citation pick-up has the book currently selected in Zotero at the top, so if you have the right book selected there, it's easy to cite it.

I'm not aware of any work to include secondary creators in a column.
  • Hi @adamsmith

I ended up modifying [that was a 'fun' new thing for me] the Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition (note, with Ibid.) to add secondary contributors (translators & editors) to the citation section.

That worked out well, see screenshot below.

I don't know if the amended style would be interesting for anyone?

For the UX design question — it is a problem that there is no option to choose translators and/or editors, see second screenshot — I might create a separate post.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u14645384/5697jr3b1r62nlhqzpwp.png

https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u14645384/oo9jjpjsg06fuerwqujq.png