ZOTERO LIBRARY FROM DIFFERENT DOCUMENT

Hi all,

My friend and I are working on a paper and she did all of her referncing in Zotero and sent me her zotero collection for the paper. I imported the collection into my library but when I tried to generate the bibliography it did not recognise any of the citations. I copied the text from the document (including the citations) into a template and then tried to generate the bibliography.

Does anyone know why zotero is not recognising the citations automatically?
  • Your imported items aren't connected to hers or the citations in the document in any way. You should still be able to generate a bibliography in the document using the Zotero plugin, but it will be based on the embedded metadata in the existing citations, not the items in your library.

We have some plans to address this, but for now we recommend always citing from a shared group library so that everyone has access to the same Zotero items. Otherwise, the person who added the items to their library should be the one who maintains the Zotero citations and bibliography in the document.

If it's not detecting any citations at all, though, that might be a separate problem — the file might've just been saved in a way that flattened all the Zotero citations.