Group picture and icon

What are the details of how an uploaded file is cropped and reformatted to become the group picture and then cropped and reformatted again to become the group icon? Does the transparent background make any difference? Does PPI make any difference? I see that they end up being about 200x146 and 48x48. I have tried to add extra background to the image on the left side thinking that it would preserve the part of the left side I needed from some kind of centering and cropping but it still seems to suffer the same fate. I also tried to format it as a 200x 200 square so it could simply be resized to 48x48. It still lost the left side. I was using PNG.
  • A 200x200px image should not be cropped.

Transparent backgrounds should be preserved.
  • I figured if 200x200 would not crop then 200x150 should also not crop. I was wrong. I upload a group picture 200x150px. It cropped to 200x146px. Not a problem, and not where my problem with this is. My problem is that the icon the system creates from that, which is 48x48px, is cropped and the left side is missing.

You can see the images the system produced from my upload at:

http://www.zotero.org/static/images/settings/group/13068_200px.png

http://www.zotero.org/static/images/settings/group/13068_squarethumb.png

I would like to know what the system does to process the images I upload. If I knew the specifics I could perhaps tweak the uploaded image for the best result from the group picture and the icon images.

Thanks
  • It looked like it was fine when you originally posted this and now the small one cropped off the left side. Note that you may have to force a refresh so you don't use a cached version from your browser (ctrl-shift-r on windows & linux).

For the large version, it scales to 200px wide and whatever height that corresponds to. For smaller version it finds the largest square it can and takes it out of the middle section of the larger of width or height, then scales that square down.
  • You were correct that failing to refresh was part of the problem. I used a 200x200 image and it was not cropped and made a good icon. Now if I can just figure out why Gimp turned it purple.

Thanks much.