[Zotero 7 feature request] Search function to find collection to add item(s) to

The ability to add an item to another collection is great, but frequent use and a large library with nested collections makes me miss the option to search for a collection to add the item(s) to. Especially after using and appreciating the "search-for-collections function" in the left pane.

Would it be possible to add the search function for collections to the "add to collection" dropdown list, for example under "New Collection..."?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u7019947/6vv0qhiren0xfqt3ph6p.png
  • edited July 5, 2024
    Given that you can just filter the collections pane and then drag, I'm not sure it's worth trying to add this to the context menu. If anything, I think we'd add a section for recent targets.
  • edited July 5, 2024
    I think there is a use case for the "add to collection" feature to function similar to the "add related" feature.

For example, when the add related feature is activated, it opens a new window where users have to select the related references. These references can be filtered using a search box and the collections that contain them are clearly visible in the left pane.

Perhaps the add to collection feature could work the same, except users have to select related collections rather than related reference items. It would also be great if users could add an item to multiple collections at the same time if desired.
  • edited July 6, 2024
    Add Related is in a separate window because there's no way to get to all other items, and search for them, without losing the source item.

That's not the case with Add to Collection. All collections are already shown in the left-hand pane and are always accessible when you have an item selected. If you want to filter them, you can do so without losing the item you're trying to add. This would just be awkwardly duplicating something that's already doable in the main window.