Using DOI to collect references and PDF

Hello,

I have a list of articles I need to collect for a literature review. I have all the DOIs and I could easily add all the metadata using Zotero's identifier button by simply pasting them all in one go. However, this does not collect the PDFs even though I have access to them, so I need to add them one by one. Is there a way to collect the PDFs when I collect the metadata with the identifier button?

Thank you
  • Zotero will try to download both gated and open-access PDFs for items added by identifier, but to download gated PDFs you'd need to either be on a network where you have direct access or use a VPN. A web-based proxy won't work — only the Zotero Connector that runs in your browser has access via a proxy like that.

If you're able to get direct access, you can use right-click → Find Available PDF on existing items to run the same process.
  • Thank you very much, but the issue is that even though I am using a VPN and I have access to the PDFs, Zotero won't download them when I am using the identifier, and neither does that if I use the right-click approach.

It looks like it is able to get them only via the connector.

Should I maybe change some options?
  • It depends on the site. For ScienceDirect, you'd need to be using Zotero 7, currently in beta. Other sites may also have anti-bot protections that would block PDF downloading from the app from working.

Can you provide a Debug ID from Zotero for an attempt that fails?