Can I still use external annotations and external PDF reader with zotero 7 ?

I use an external reader to annotate my pdfs. Considering zotero 7 has built in reader, can I still use an external reader to annotate ? Will these external annotations show up in zotero ?

I want the annotations to be stored in PDF itself. AFAIK, new reader stores them seperately.
  • The built-in reader was introduced in Zotero 6, not 7.

See Annotations in Database for details.
  • In addition to the instructions on how you could still use an external PDF reader at the above link, the ability to open any PDF in the system PDF reader via single right click is provided by this plugin.
    https://github.com/retorquere/zotero-open-pdf

It is common for people with an established workflow in an external PDF reader to want to keep using that workflow and reader from within Zotero (which you can do, and was the only way before v6). It is also common once they have seen the benefits offered by Zotero's inbuilt reader for those people to move across to that PDF reader rather quickly. ;) If you really want to keep/export your annotations to the PDF file, you can do that. But it means you can't make use of all of the extra benefits offered via the Zotero reader (for the logical reasons outlined at that link).
  • I understand the benefits. I plan to read on an android device. I'll try the zotero reader first and see if it meets all the requirements.

Thanks everyone !