Zotero 7 Beta: Beta Numbering Differs between Mac, Windows and Linux

I just noticed that betas for Mac and Linux (85) are 2 versions behind betas for Windows (87). Is it because fixes introduced are only Windows-related?
  • I, for another, find that disconcerting when I read about a "fix" and I'm still on an earlier version that will not update upon request. I don't think anyone would object to Mac and Linux skipping version numbers.
  • Mac and Linux will skip versions and identical versions will be aligned. Version 86 and 87 were released for Windows only (fixing Word for Windows integration). If the next version is a release across OS, it will be 88 across all systems.
    If you want to be really thorough, you can also check the github commit associated with the version number based on the hash that's the rest of the filename and version number. (so f59a4da for 87/Windows c0c00a0 for 85/nix).

For regular releases, the changelog will note when versions are only for specific operating systems (the final release of version 6 is .0.35 for Linux, .0.36 for Windows and .0.37 for Mac https://www.zotero.org/support/changelog ). For the beta, you should just not worry about the version numbers unless you want to check whether a given commit is already part of the version you have.
  • For regular releases, the changelog will note when versions are only for specific operating systems
    This is exactly what I am missing with the beta version, a changelog. So I could check which specific OS was targeted. But I also understand it is a beta, so all changes can't be fully documented (at least publicly).
    For the beta, you should just not worry about the version numbers unless you want to check whether a given commit is already part of the version you have.
    There was a case of an update of the regular release that was missing for some OS. So I was wondering if it was the case here.

Anyway, thanks for the prompt and helpful reply, as always much appreciated.