Zotero Connector no longer intercepts EndNote citations

edited June 12, 2024
When I downloaded citations from Google Scholar in EndNote format, Zotero Connector used to intercept the download and offer to add the citation to my library. It doesn't do this automatically anymore, and I see no other way (e.g. context menu) to do it from Connector. Importing from Zotero still works but it's extremely slow and complex, especially for importing a single source

Yes, interceptKnownFileTypes is set to true

Zotero Connector version: 5.0.128
Zotero version: 7.0.0-beta.86+569225897 (64-bit)
Browser: Google Chrome Version 124.0.6367.202 (Official Build) (32-bit)
  • Downgrading to 5.0.124 (unpacked debug build), unsurprisingly, fixes the issue, but it also downgrades the extension to manifest v2, which will EOL soon
  • Not currently possible in MV3:

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/465081/#Comment_465081

But also, this has never been a recommended way of working on a supported site like Google Scholar. I'm not sure what's "extremely slow and complex" about clicking Save to Zotero and checking the item you want to save?
  • I was unaware that this had never been a recommended way of working on Google Scholar. I just discovered this functionality by experimentation or by accident, and it became part of my workflow

I really wish that features lost in the upgrade to MV3 were documented somewhere. As it is, Zotero Connector simply stopped working one day and it took me days to figure out why. It's customary for browser extensions to open a release notes page for significant changes like these and, when I figured out it was caused by the MV3 migration, I was surprised that there had been no communication about it
  • edited June 12, 2024
    The "extremely slow and complex" flow is importing from inside Zotero, by the way

I never used Save to Zotero for Google Scholar because I was unaware that it worked in Google Scholar, while exporting EndNote citations worked perfectly
  • "Save to Zotero" is the main way you use the Zotero Connector on any site. It's the reason the Zotero Connector exists.

https://www.zotero.org/support/adding_items_to_zotero#via_your_web_browser
  • It's the main way I use Zotero Connector, as you'll note from the several bugs in that functionality that I reported in the past two days

I just don't use it on Google Scholar because I only use Google Scholar for their citations, which often have better metadata than even the primary sources. And for citations (not full text, which I usually already had from somewhere else, but with poor metadata), downloading an EndNote citation was the fastest way - while it still worked

Does it matter, though? EndNote interception no longer works anyway
  • (Save to Zotero in Google Scholar uses Google's metadata -- BibTeX, not Endnote, but should be pretty much identical)
  • I noticed, yeah. And yes, they're identical

I guess I'll get used to using the item selector, which I never liked much