Struggling to refresh citations and add new citations

Hi, I have been working on a document (~26 000 words) and ever since merging my duplicate items in Zotero I cannot refresh or add new citations. I have the Word plugin for zotero and I am using the software. Please help, this is for a PhD thesis
  • In general, such problems are at the document level:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/existing_citations_not_detected

Does the problem also happen with a new, empty document?
  • No, I doubt that page is relevant — that would be for flattened citations, which I don't think is the issue here.

@ac2371: What OS is this? Most likely you're just not waiting long enough, particularly if this is a Mac — Word integration on macOS is currently just rather slow, so in a large document you might have to wait quite a while (even an hour or more) to refresh.

For inserting citations, make sure you have "Automatically update citations" disabled in the plugin's Document Preferences window.

Merging duplicate items in Zotero shouldn't affect this. It could be due to a Word update — we've gotten some reports that current versions of Word for Mac are even slower.
  • Right, flattened citations would not prevent adding new ones, sorry about that.