iOS: 'fixing' PDFs with embedded annotations

edited May 21, 2024
So sometimes for some reason when I open some PDFs after a while I find the annotations locked. I therefore exported the PDF with the annotations (which were already embedded on it anyway), passed the file over to a PC and was able to import annotations and have the PDF with database annotations *on the PC*. Unfortunately I'm out of storage quota, so I'm unable to achieve the same result on mobile. I know that 3rd party webDAV solutions exist, but the list [here](https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/webdav_services) hasn't been updated in a while and I haven't had much luck getting the free ones to work...

Any ideas? Can I somehow setup WebDAV locally, so that I don't have to pay for more storage?

Thx ;)
  • Hi @MrBallistic, you can definitely set up your own WebDAV at home if you have a home NAS, or just some computer running all the time (or at least at the time when you need it). I also tested Koofr (koofr.eu) which seemed to work, but I don't have long term experience.

Anyway I'd like to know more about your issue with locked annotations. Do you have any steps to reproduce your issue? Can you write more about it? I'd like to fix it if we can figure out how to reproduce it.
  • Recently I switched to Koofr for WebDAV syncing, and it happened when I left multiple zotero tabs open in background on iPadOS: when I connected to a network, zotero made me download the file again from the cloud database and that unlocked the annotations.

Looks like that might have been an issue to do with syncing.