[Zotero 7 Beta] Disappearing tabs during loading

Zotero is a bit slow to load in the latest betas. It takes around 30 seconds to get the header of the Item Pane display the "Bibliography Entry", using the citation style provided here: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/463228/#Comment_463228
It is loading the collections pane, tags, items, the Item Pane and finally the header of the Item Pane:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u265723/kn7exjgxll6ml45bdpmf.png

During this long loading process, if I click on the tabs being restored, they disappear temporarily. They finally reappear, but it gives the impression that they are closed when trying to look at them.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u265723/w94nm3jufraxhg50dj9t.png

Zotero 7.0.0-beta.80+9de70613a (64-bit)
Windows 10
  • We'll look into the tab thing, but you're saying it's taking longer to load than it did before?

Does this happen with the header set Title?

Can you provide a Debug ID for Zotero startup through loading finishing, using the "Restart with Logging Enabled…" option?
  • edited May 21, 2024
    Here are Debug IDs for "Restart with Logging Enabled…":
    - With the header set to "Title": D250582694 (around 20 seconds)
    - With the header set to "Bibliography Entry": D2086809402 (around 30 seconds)

I do not have quantitative data to compare precisely to previous betas.
    I feel that 30 seconds is a bit long compared to before, but it may just be the extra time needed to load the header in "Bibliography Entry" mode, coupled with the large library (~16k items with attachments).
  • edited May 21, 2024
    Using Bibliography Entry certainly shouldn't add 10 seconds to startup.

What exactly are the 20 and 30 seconds measuring to?

Can you provide similar startup Debug IDs with auto-sync temporarily disabled?
  • The times mentioned correspond to the time needed until an item from My Library is fully displayed in the Item Pane.
    The debug IDs with auto-sync disabled:
    - With the header set to "Title": D1692686983 (18 seconds)
    - With the header set to "Bibliography Entry": D1834246983 (21 seconds)
  • A 3-second difference is more expected. Styles and translators are loaded shortly after the rest of the user interface, and so if you're using Bibliography Entry, that won't be shown until after styles are loaded. It should show the rest of the pane immediately and show "Loading…" for the item pane header.

If you're consistently seeing a larger (e.g., 10-second) delay, we could look into delaying the startup auto-sync until the header has been displayed (though an argument could be made that syncing should take priority).

We also might be able to prioritize loading of the style necessary for Bibliography Entry before loading other styles and translators.
  • edited May 22, 2024
    (But I can reproduce the tab bug, in any case.)
  • We've fixed the disappearing-tab bug and generally optimized tab loading at startup in beta 91.